replacing my laptop's screen with a new ips one?

M1chel

Beta member
Hi guys,
I was trying to understand if it's possible to upgrade the usual tft screen you usually find in laptops with an ips screen aftermarket.

there are models that already feature an ips panel but they are crazy priced. probably they are worth that money but I don't need a powerful workstation, I already have a desktop to work with. What i need is an avarage laptop with an awesome screen to bring with me when I meet clients and show my web design and graphical work.
Working on digital art is why I need a good screen with the best possible color accuracy and viewing angles.

so, I thought I could buy an average notebook and pimp it with a good ips screen.

now, I've done my research and I know some people used to upgrade the screens from lenovo's t60 to an ips screen.
the t60 is maybe too outdated now.

What I'm asking is:
first of all is it possible to replace a screen with an other one that the laptop wasn't thought for?
(and let's assume in the laptop I have a vga that can handle its resolution, that the connection is the same [let's say 40 pin], that the battery can take the extra work)
do you know where to find the part number of ips screens for laptops? I know lg, hitachi, and some else produce it for everyone.
do you know of model that can sustain this upgrade (please no hp 8560w coz is one of those with crazy prices)
have you read of someone doing it?

I also know I'll probably have to flash the EDID to get it to read the new resolution.

can u help?

Back
Top Bottom