Repair Recovery Partition

dxtech9918

Solid State Member

Hi, everyone. I have a recovery partition on a Windows Vista computer and it does not boot. It does not show up in the bios boot menu, either. I know it is there, because in "Computer" it lists the D: Factory Image as a system drive.

I installed Windows Vista manually, by USB, so I hope that I didn't screw something up. I was just wondering if there is a way to repair the recovery partition, reinstall Vista, and get factory settings?

Hi I never ran Vista. My thinking is it's very possible that the recovery partition no longer works after manually installing by USB. Why would you need the recovery partition if you have the USB recovery media?? I would suggest you use a imaging program to create a back up image of your OS. That would be much better than the recovery partition IMHO.
I'm sure you will get better suggestions from other members!
Gary!

Wow i2D ! That looks like a awesome program. I have never heard of it.
I clicked your thanks! My question is still why do you need the recovery partition if you have the USB recovery media??
Gary!

Once you get the OS up and running you should be able to get to the D: drive. Look for an application on the D: drive that triggers the recovery functions. It's not going to be named what you would expect a program like that to be named. This is to keep you from accidentally activating it.

On a lot of systems like my HP, the recovery on the D: drive is not bootable. It's an application that runs when called for.

Last edited:
Wow i2D ! That looks like a awesome program. I have never heard of it.
I clicked your thanks! My question is still why do you need the recovery partition if you have the USB recovery media??
Gary!

You don't need it, but it can be handy to have for people who don't know how to create live recovery USB's.. Plus they include it as default as it's standard practice for disaster recovery, I keep mine on my Machines for extra safety. :cool:

OK That's a good idea! It's always good to have more than one way to recover from a disaster. I guess I'm just thinking why not create a OS image and he has the USB restore media. This would be a 3rd way to recover. That makes sense and it's there so use it.

Once you get the OS up and running you should be able to get to the D: drive. Look for an application on the D: drive that triggers the recovery functions. It's not going to be named what you would expect a program like that to be named. This is to keep you from accidentally activating it.

On a lot of systems like my HP, the recovery on the D: drive is not bootable. It's an application that runs when called for.

I do not want to install drivers and original software, manually. I would just like my computer the way it was when I first turned it on.

My specs are:

HP Pavilion Slimline s5120f
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit (original OS)
Amd Athlon X2 7750

Since it is an HP computer, which program do I need to run to use the Recovery Partition?

Back
Top Bottom