Removing 2nd partition containing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
GRUB doesnt affect this at all. The reason being is simple. GRUB and Linux doesnt overwrite the System Active partition for Windows. As where installing another version of Windows can. Since the install of XP was done after the upgrade to Win7, that isnt the case. But if the machine had XP first installed than Win7, then it would have caused an issue. So for you the addition of Linux meant nothing. But adding in another Windows install does mess with the MBR and BCD.

GRUB doesnt affect this at all. The reason being is simple. GRUB and Linux doesnt overwrite the System Active partition for Windows. As where installing another version of Windows can. Since the install of XP was done after the upgrade to Win7, that isnt the case. But if the machine had XP first installed than Win7, then it would have caused an issue. So for you the addition of Linux meant nothing. But adding in another Windows install does mess with the MBR and BCD.

Ahh I gotcha. I didn't realize the effects Grub had on Win MBR was so vastly different from the way it is with multiple Windows OS's. Thanks for filling in that gap, though. Good tip learned.

Yeah it is that vastly different. Which is why it is always best to install Windows in order of release. XP, Vista then Win7 if at all possible. It saves a LOT of time and effort.

I used gpared to remove the partition and it worked. I don't think that you can remove it from inside the windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom