Recommendations for Security+ study materials?

The only thing that would give me pause about getting Security+ right now is the fact that it needs to be renewed every 3 years. Security isn't something that you get into without experience, so it might be worth waiting a bit before getting the cert. If you got it now, it could very well expire before you actually qualify for a security position. I got mine when I did simply because it was my last chance to be certified for life instead of having to renew every 3 years. Otherwise, I would have waited.

Most certs are making you renew every few years anyways. CCNA does that to.

I'd say get it now, sooner the better. Don't think about where you will be in 3 years because tons of things could change between now and then. You may be passed up on a job offer tomorrow because you don't have a cert.

Good for you man. The most important thing is to get into IT first. Once you are there you can start focusing your free time to security, or proposing security related items at your current job.

Once you have the exp in IT and the certs in security, you can land a security specific job (or wait until something happens at your current employer).

Happy for you man, keep with it.

Thank Lex! I really appreciate the kind words! The getting into IT part is seeming more and more probable with this company but I don't want to count my eggs too soon, so we will see!!

I appreciate the recommendations about when to go after the Security+ cert. I definitely considered both options and originally I had the same thought as DistraughtSyop, but after thinking about it I really wanted to get some background in Security to get a feel for it and decide now if that's something I want to pursue with more education and certifications.

Since you have your foot in the door already you are ahead of the game as far as employment goes. The experience is crucial these days. That being said, a degree is a requirement in most places when you start looking at better jobs. Even if you are already working for the company, they may pass you over for promotions because someone else has the same experience, but has a degree. I wish I had gotten certs while getting my degree, but that's water under the bridge now. I got an associates in 2004 and am starting work toward my CCNA now. The classes that teach you how to pass the tests may get you certified, but I don't think they really teach what you need to know. I would pass on those type of classes and instead get into a program that gets you a degree.
I got a book from Sybex which has practice tests and labs, but what really helps is having actual Cisco equipment to work with. Luckily my job has replaced all of our network hardware and I can take the old stuff and practice with it. If your company gets new equipment, see if they will let you have an old router and switch. Labs and books are nice, but really being inside the device is the best.

Since you have your foot in the door already you are ahead of the game as far as employment goes. The experience is crucial these days. That being said, a degree is a requirement in most places when you start looking at better jobs. Even if you are already working for the company, they may pass you over for promotions because someone else has the same experience, but has a degree. I wish I had gotten certs while getting my degree, but that's water under the bridge now. I got an associates in 2004 and am starting work toward my CCNA now. The classes that teach you how to pass the tests may get you certified, but I don't think they really teach what you need to know. I would pass on those type of classes and instead get into a program that gets you a degree.
I got a book from Sybex which has practice tests and labs, but what really helps is having actual Cisco equipment to work with. Luckily my job has replaced all of our network hardware and I can take the old stuff and practice with it. If your company gets new equipment, see if they will let you have an old router and switch. Labs and books are nice, but really being inside the device is the best.

Thanks Superdave1984 (sorry for the late reply). Working with the equipment is definitely ideal. I've been looking for some type of program that offers more than just passing the test - I've found a couple options in my area but I still need to read into them a bit. Hopefully my job decides to replace all of their equipment soon too! :p

Back
Top Bottom