Recommendations for Security+ study materials?

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hello all,

I am thinking about going after my CompTIA Security+ certification. I am seriously considering pursuing a career in information security and thought this might be a good way to learn some fundamentals about the area. I already have my A+ and Network+ and figured it would be good to build upon those a bit.

I was hoping to get some recommendations about study materials (books, online resources, etc.) I had went to a school that offered weekend classes for the CompTIA A+ and Network+, but I felt like they were just prepping you for the exam and not really teaching you anything you'd use on the job (i.e. actual labs or hands on practice). So I figured for the Security+ I would just take a shot at studying on my own and see how I did. A friend at work recommended CompTIA Security+ SY0-301 Authorized Exam Cram (3rd Edition). Would anyone second this recommendation or suggest anything else either in addition to or as a replacement?

I really appreciate everyone's feedback! Thank you!

I used the Sybex guide. I had also previously taken a security course, so that helped. Honestly, I'd say that any legitimate study guide from a reputable source should work. The exam is heavy on theory so it's a matter of understanding the concepts, although you'll still need to know specific tools/protocols/algorithms/technologies/etc.

Here is 14+ hours of free material for you: Professor Messer's Free CompTIA SY0-301 Security+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training

Also, after getting that exam if you are seriously interested in security look into getting your CCNA and CISSP. https://www.isc2.org/cissp/Default.aspx

Hi Lex, thanks for the advice! The Professor Messer link was awesome! I'm definitely going to use that as part of my self-studying!!

I've looked at the CCNA and CISSP exams as well. I figured I'd start with the Security+ as a way to kind of get an introduction to the industry. I'm looking between Security or doing something in Excel like development (since I've been getting more involved with Excel formulas at work). But I'm leaning more towards Security so if/when I pass my Security+ exam, I was planning to follow up with my CCNA certification and then my CCNA Security certification. And if all goes well, cap it off with CISSP when the time comes.

I used the Sybex guide. I had also previously taken a security course, so that helped. Honestly, I'd say that any legitimate study guide from a reputable source should work. The exam is heavy on theory so it's a matter of understanding the concepts, although you'll still need to know specific tools/protocols/algorithms/technologies/etc.

Thanks DistraughtSysop, I will definitely check out the Sybex guide and compare it to the Exam Cram book!

Ya, security is a hot area right now and will be for the foreseeable future IMO. I work at a law firm and security is extremely important. Also lots of banks, government facilities and even companies that just do business with banks and feds have to take security seriously.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping! I listen to a lot of security podcasts on my drive to and from work and try to read related news articles when I can to kind of immerse myself in the industry. It seems really interesting, but I feel like I'm on the outside looking in. I'm hoping the Security+ studying and exam will give me some more realistic expectations and help me make the right decision.

How long have you been in IT? You mentioned before that you landed a help desk position not that long ago, right?

Wow, great memory! I'm impressed!

Yes I did land a help desk role several months ago, but when I gave my two weeks at my current employer, they had my meet with a bunch of people in the IT department (including the CIO!) to see if I would be interested in a position with their internal IT department as opposed to leaving. Well long story short I decided to stay with my current employer to see what opportunities would be available to me there. One of the main reasons I chose to stay is that when I mentioned had an interest in Security, they said there would be a need for that in the company as they continued to expand.

So I decided to take a wait and see strategy and see how this played out. I'm hoping that if I decide that Security is definitely the career path I want to pursue, I'm hoping that as my current employer expands, there will be a greater need for Security and more opportunities to get a role in the Security field. So I want to get some exposure to Security now and decide if this really is for me, and if it is go after more certifications and education to help myself stand out!

Good for you man. The most important thing is to get into IT first. Once you are there you can start focusing your free time to security, or proposing security related items at your current job.

Once you have the exp in IT and the certs in security, you can land a security specific job (or wait until something happens at your current employer).

Happy for you man, keep with it.

Back
Top Bottom