recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITwannabee

In Runtime
i'm going to replace an old server at work, can you guys recommend something. i have 3 servers at the moment.

1. IBM pentiumII w/small business server 2000
exchange server
active directory
2. Dell power edge win2000
applications
data
3. XP pro
eTrust anti-virus/SCM

i would like to replace the IBM pentiumII with a dell product. Reasons for changing is because the back-up tape drive is no longer working, sometimes when i click around it freezes, and it's just old.

The consultant that I go through was saying that the server is 1u and that i should look for 2u or 3u. What in the world does that mean? can someone please explain to me why one server is better than another?

Thanks guys...

The 1U, 2U, 3U, 4U, 5U, 6U, 7U are all difference sized rackmount servers, the U following the number is short for unit. The number indicating the size of the rackmount, 1U being the smallest rackmount and 7U being the biggest rackmount. Below is a listing of each of the different units and their dimensions, although the Width and Height of a rackmount may be standard, the depth of a rackmount may change as can be seen below. If you are rackmount server is going to be placed in a constrained area it's best to verify with the manufacturer of the rackmount what the exact dimensions are.

Unit Dimension
(W x H x D)
1U 19" x 1.75" x 17.7"
19" x 1.75" x 19.7"
19" x 1.75" x 21.5"

2U 19" x 3.5" x 17.7"
19" x 3.5" x 20.9"
19" x 3.5" x 24"

3U 17.1" x 5.1" x 25.5"

4U 19" x 7" x 17.8"
19" x 7" x 26.4"

5U 19" x 8.34" x 19.67"
19.1" x 8.75" x 26.4"

6U 19" x 10.5" x 19.5"

7U 17" x 12.2" x 19.8"

Well, what should i look for in terms of performance or stability? is there anything you guys recommend for me to use as an exchange server and with active directory?

If you could specify ... your exact needs .. it would make it a lot easier to suggest a good configuration ...

Like .. what would be ur typical usage patterns ..
Do u intend using it only as an exchange server ... what would be the typical no. of mailbox's it would handle
etc..

i only intend on using it for exchange server and active directory. there's about 20 people at work. I also need it to do backups. is that the kind of information you need?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom