Rechargeable batteries &tc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
I've bought some rechargeable batteries for various uses, I was hoping one of them would be for my camera; it guzzles up batteries. The batteries I have are 2450mA, but my mother says that some electronics won't accept batteries with too high a mA rating. Which to me doesn't make sense, since it's just capacity...
Does she have a point or is she talking out of her arse? :p

She's talking out her arse :p

It is the voltage you have to worry about, I know of a lot of techies that say it's the amperage that will fry electronics, and not voltage, but, it's the voltage, an electronic will only use so much of the amperage at one time.

Thanks, I thought so. I'm fairly sure all AA batteries deliver the same voltage?

Yep, they all deliver roughly the same voltage, there is always a small difference that doesn't matter much, but they all deliver the same voltage, and all deliver roughly the same current.

She's talking out her arse :p

It is the voltage you have to worry about, I know of a lot of techies that say it's the amperage that will fry electronics, and not voltage, but, it's the voltage, an electronic will only use so much of the amperage at one time.

It's both you have to worry about, but it is amperage that will indeed fry them.

If you push too much amperage into a device, it's gonna fry (same with pushing more voltage than needed).

Ehh, devices only use as much amperage as they need in a dc circuit i though... Other wise, those of us with 100 amp 12v rails will fry our nice pretty graphics cards :p

Same with car audio, you can have 90 amp alts, or 200 amp alts on the same electronics, they only use the amperage needed. :-\

I do know that if enough current gets used, voltage tends to drop, gah i need to go back and read my friggen books -.-

Yeah, I know the device is only going to pull as much as it needs, but if the power source pushes more it'll fry it (which is kind of a given lol).

Now, I am officially confused, I mean, how would the power source force something to use more amperage than what it needs to operate unless that huge increase in current causes the voltage to spike above what it's designed for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom