Random Chit Chat

An Australian friend suggested that I could move to Australia and teach Arabic in some community something (I don't remember) and that it has a decent income. They say it's expensive to live there. But yeah, that was just a passing suggestion. I'm not planning to leave here at all, at the moment.

It depends, the big muslim communities are mainly NSW (Sydney) & Victoria (Melbourne). The cost of living in Australia is getting bad, take a look at these links below. Like for example where I live which is Hobart Tasmania, the rental market is big demand but not enough properties and rent is expensive depending on where you choose to live. Apparently the cost of living in Australia is higher than the US by 10%.

Cost of Living, Prices in Australia - Expatistan

Cost of Living in Australia. Prices in Australia. - Numbeo Updated Jun 2017

There could also be general language centers or non Muslim Arabs in some community somethings. New coming Christian Arabs may need to learn English too.

But that's not the subject after all, living expensive is, and that got covered in the two links above, I see.

But least having access to mud crab is a good comfort if one has no choice to move to Australia :)

It's good here, I'd definitely recommend coming here as a tourist. Like everyone else I'm sick of Chinese buying our houses up and not living in them therefore making prices sky rocket and the same for them developing and buying every business/company they can get ahold of.

They do that as Australian citizens or Chinese residents?

Either way, if the law allows it, I guess I can't blame them for it. I think the law should do something about it since it is hurting the local economy. Here residents are not allowed to own estate/land/etc., in their full ownership at least. It is not based on discrimination intent, it is just based on priority like locals deserve it more (actually, they could need it).

Majority of them of them would Chinese residents I'd say. Look at the infographic, developers/investors are leaning more towards houses and townhouses over highrises and buying up a lot of land.

2230123_1485987910764.png

Hmm... if they are not Australian passport holders, I think the govt. should not allow them. But I can't judge. The govt. probably has something in mind that I don't understand.

By the way, the only reason for tourism for me is sea and sea food ;)

Same thing happens in the UK.

Overseas investors buy buildings, or flats/apartments in buildings, often before they are complete.
Worse still, most never actually either live in, nor rent out the apartments.

With house prices constantly rising it is worth it for investors to buy them, it's a pretty guaranteed investment.

Same thing happens here in the US. Wealthy Chinese businessmen looking for a way to smuggle ill-gotten gains out of their home country buy ridiculous mansions in the US and then move here, because they know we can't/won't extradite them to china. Though, it's probably less common than I imagine.

Also this: Higher prices squeezing both renters and would-be homeowners

Apparently we're finally starting to recover from the housing market crash from a decade ago, but home building hasn't recovered to the same level yet. So the lack of new homes drives up the price of existing homes which in turn raises the bar for entry into the housing market. That means more people are forced to remain renters which then increases the average rent...

Same thing happens in the UK.

Overseas investors buy buildings, or flats/apartments in buildings, often before they are complete.
Worse still, most never actually either live in, nor rent out the apartments.

With house prices constantly rising it is worth it for investors to buy them, it's a pretty guaranteed investment.
That is so true, I saw a documentary on TV about rich people from outside UK buying property in London (Value in the millions) then they only stay in the property when they are visiting the UK, which sometimes is a week or two a year

It's funny; People talk as if cost of living is completely absurd, yet, last year, I purchased a reasonably-sized lot in an okay area for a whopping $5,024. The only downside is that I'm going to have to jackhammer a ridiculously thick slab off of it before building.

I can't say I get it. It seems as if people's standards have risen, rather than the actual costs. Everything in our society is lately is just... MORE MORE MORE.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom