RAM Usage Went Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extreme112

In Runtime
My Ram usage has gone from 30% when idle, to 50% when Idle. The Only thing I remember doing is increasing my hard disk cache and setting affinity of certain games. Could this be why it's increased?

Running Vista with 4GB RAM, Quad Core Processor.

Well what's using all the RAM? Have you opened task manager and/or resource monitor (if Vista/Win7) and checked to see what's taking up most of the RAM?

Well I dont know how to interpret resource monitor and I can't print screen for some reason but, aside from by browser, which uses around 100,000 K
dwm.exe uses 45,000 K,
explorer.exe uses 17,800 K,
iTunesHelper.exe uses 13,000 K,
sidebar.exe uses 15,000 K

There were taken from Memory(Private Networking Set) Under Processes in Task Manager. All other processes use less than 10,000 K.
I have 101 active processes

Did you click the "show all processes from all users" button on task manager?

I would try to get your print screen working and take a screenshot of task manager and resource monitor so we can have a look.

Here the prints screens from all users. Sorry if its a little blurry,

Attachments

• Processes2.jpg
    Processes2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Processes.jpg
    Processes.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 62
It would be easier to see what's taking up more memory if you sorted by the Memory column (click it to sort from largest to smallest).

I don't mind Vista using half my ram when its idle, its just that I'm worried I won't be able to play my CPU and RAM intensive games anymore.

Though I read somewhere if you do use intensive applications, Vista will free up ram so you can play your intensive games. Is this true?

Yes that's true. That's how prefetch and superfetch in Vista/7 work. It pre-loads frequently used programs, and if another application needs that memory, it frees it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom