quick queston about cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

juno_reactor

Baseband Member
well, i have a Lexus ES 300 and...well i dont know if anyone really knows much about cars over here... but anyway, yeah, so as soon as i turn on the car there seems to be a little bit of smoke comming from the exhaustand only when i turn the car on so everything else works fine. i was just a bit curious as to what it could be. i was thinking i have an oil leak. it could also be the piston rings. if it is the piston rings then how much would one expect to pay for replacements??? i know this belongs in car forums but i figured i'd try here first.

no, its not new. but the smoke comes out with both cold start and warm. the smoke is like a dark kinda colour.

dark kinda color??? what does that mean? i assume that means black...

black smoke is not a big deal usually. it indicates excess fuel burning. it's probably due to a leaky fuel injector, faulty fuel pump, or an error from one of your car's many sensors. it shouldn't be a problem with any major engine seals or gaskets.

if it is a problem that persists while you are driving (likely with a bad O2 sensor), it will cause a decrease in gas mileage and occasional engine studdering.

i would have a trusted mechanice check it over for you.... otherwise, the excess fuel (otherwise known as "running rich") can ruin your other O2 sensor(s) and cause premature clogging of your catalytic converter.

if the color is more of a blueish color, then that is oil burning which can be relatively minor (valve cover gasket) or relatively major (head gasket). if you're up to it, you can take your spark plugs out and look for any oil residue on the tips. over time, this oil buildup can cause misfiring.

whatever the case or color, have a mechanic check it out. it may be something cheap and easy to fix :D

How many miles are there on the car? How is the gas mileage?
If the gas mileage is ok and there are a lot of miles than its probably Valveguides/ seals.
If its a gasket oil will leak on the engine and there will be smoke in the engine compartment and a burning smell.
Cheapest thing to do is go get a smog check...(about $20) and it will tell you how the car runs. If it passes you know the fuel system is fine. As long as there are no knocks or rattles ur fine.

well like i said, black smoke = fuel....so that wouldn't be a head gasket.

but blue smoke could be as it indicates leaking oil..but it could also be something minor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom