Questions on career prospects

mcrow

Beta member
Hello,

I'm currently employed in another field where I make a decent living (~$50k including benefits). However, the job I currently work in is targeted for layoffs and I'm not 100% sure if I can retain my position at this point.

I've always had an interest in computers/IT. I am capable of installing pretty well any software (though have not installed windows recently), setting up most devices, and have a decent level of knowldege (for having no trainnig) of how to trouble shoot PCs. I'm intersted in programming and PC maintence the most but the whole field appeals to me.

So, what I'm looking for is a place to start. I'm thinking should I get laid off it would be a good fallback to have a certifacation or training so I could more easily change careers. Problem is at this point I probably don't have money to get a 4 year degree. I have a couple of associates degrees (Medical Technology and Health Information Management) so perhaps I could dovetail my experience into an IT career in Health Care.

Do you think there is any particular degree or certification that would serve me well? I was looking at A+ for something very basic.

A+ and Net+ are starts. Also get a Windows certification like Windows 7 so you can become Microsoft Certified.

Realize that in IT experience is the most important thing to have. So with no experience and the above certifications you would be looking to start in a help desk / desktop support / IT analyst role which depending on the area of the country you live and the industry pay between 25 and 35k a year.

I bring that up because you are already making 50k, so generally if you want to keep the same standard of living and you want an IT job making 50k a year with zero experience it's going to be very hard. Not impossible but near impossible. You see some places with level2 and level3 techs making around 50k, and some places will pay jr admins around 50k.

If you don't care as much about the money, then by all means get those certs and you may have a good fall back plan.

If you have the time / money and knowledge you could get your MCSA Server 2008 or MCSA Server 2012, both comprise of 3 separate exams (very hard). If you get those titles you could probably start off in the 50k range.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I realize that it would be a pay cut more than likely when I start out but I figure that if I'm leg go where I work it's going to be difficult to find a position doing what I do making the same money anyway. Also, I've sort of lost the love of my current career (been at it for 15 years and wasn't my first choice to begin with) so this would be an opportunity to do something I think I'd like more should I be out of work.

Also, the company I work for (a huge health care company) has a massive IT department so there's a chance I could get a transfer at some point and I think I can network with some folks over there.

Good plan man. IT is a good field to be in. Lots of growth - very diverse industry, the only two down sides are it's hard to get your foot in the door and EVERYONE and their father wants to be in IT. Ever watch local channels during the weekday afternoons? Nothing but commercials on IT careers.

And when i say foot in the door - i don't just mean getting that initial job. Once you get that job to get to the next level can be difficult at times.

Go for it though, what do you have to lose?

If you don't mind me asking are you not happy in the healthcare field? I know that in Dallas and other large cities there are a lot of jobs for things like medical assistant and radiographer/MRI guy (forgot the name). If you just want the carrer change then why not? I know healthcare has a high potential for burnout. Thats why I chose to not be an EMT/firefighter even though I have the qulifications already. I cannot bear to see that stuff day in day out.

If you don't mind me asking are you not happy in the healthcare field? I know that in Dallas and other large cities there are a lot of jobs for things like medical assistant and radiographer/MRI guy (forgot the name). If you just want the carrer change then why not? I know healthcare has a high potential for burnout. Thats why I chose to not be an EMT/firefighter even though I have the qulifications already. I cannot bear to see that stuff day in day out.

It's mix of things. First I got into the HIM because at the time I didn't have transportation to get to any other school and it was the most appealing area of study at a school I could get to for classes. So, there were other things I was more interested in but the school didn't have a program for and I couldn't travel to another school, plus I need to get a job and start making money ASAP.

Second, the health care field is going to be very unstable for the next decade or two due to Obaacare. Layoffs are going to happen as a result, we had one set of layoffs where I work already in prep for reduced Medicaid and Medicare reimbursement.

Third, the field I wanted to go into was IT and I had started to take courses at a local college and got through the first year before they moved the school to a location that I couldn't transport. Then I transferred to the HIM school.

Either way, I'm gong to get A+ and Network+ certs then work on a Microsoft cert. At least that way maybe I can transition into a IT job where I work or I have something to fall back on in order to start new career should I get let go.

Hi,
I was in a similar position to you about 2 years ago. I had alot of IT skills but no certificates/degree.

I decided to get the A+ first, with which got me a foot in the door for an entry level position. I was just laid off, but already with the extra 2 years exp. and the MCITP, MCSA and MCDST I am being interviewed for jobs nearly 20k higher in salary.

If you really want to give IT a crack, jump in and start your certificates. The A+ isn't too expensive, plenty of training manuals and practice exams to help you pass.

Hope it works out well for you.

Back
Top Bottom