Question about my wired connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwaynesox

In Runtime
I was wondering if anybody could help me with my connection

In the summer the router I had for awhile (my linksys one) started to not work after about a year of service, my connections would unexpectendly drop and I would start getting kicked off things like aim and xbox live. So I got my friends d link router and all was good up until about a month ago, every now and then ill get kicked off aim and my connection will start to be really slow. Im starting to think its not the routers dying but somthing else on my end. I tried ipconfig release and renew and it didnt help at all.

Anything I can try to see whats happening?

Try updating the router. Sometimes when a connection and/or signal is dropping on a regular basis the firmware needs to be updated.

Easiest solution at this moment in time, and free. See if your manf. has an update.

If that doesn't work try to move the router / computer / xbox closer and see if it is signal degredation that is causing the cutoff of signal, and not the router just dropping the signal.

Hello,

Specifically, what router are you using? Is your computer connected to a wireless router wirelessly?

Its a wired router d link DI524

Ok The firmware was the latest they offered, any other suggestions?

Hello,

What was the model of your old [Linksys] router?

You may be experiencing problems due to ports being blocked on the router. Try opening the specific ports for Xbox Live; you can do this in the router's settings. The Xbox Live ports are listed in the following article: Description of Firewall Ports for Xbox LIVE.

xbox live never gets booted off though, its just my computers internet for some reason

Think it could be the modem?
I hope its not the router.

EDIT: It took me like 4 hours to download a 1.4gb DL on my xbox live just now so its prolly affecting that as well, it just never kciks me off xbox live for some reason. I tried restarting the router now too and same affect, but I do notice the pc/activity LED on my router gets solid sometimes and I believe it should be blinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom