Question about cat5 cables and internet provider/ other.

28Mbps won't touch the speed of 100Mbps, all switches are going to be at least a 10/100Mbps which means it can have devices of either 10 or 100Mbps.

If your computers only connect at 10Mbps, then they won't see the full bandwidth. Anyways any cheap 10/100/1000Mbps switch would work fine IMO, it goes after your router, connect your devices on that switch.

Newegg.com - Rosewill RC-416 Gigabit Green Ethernet Desktop Metal Switch with Jumbo Frame support and Energy Saving support 10/100/1000Mbps 8 x RJ45 8K MAC Address Table 1024K bits (128K bytes) Buffer Memory Should suffice for a long time, whether or not it will fit in a box meant for the cable and phone system to run through is beyond me. But that will give you more than enough ports overall for full gigabit through your home.

Just remember, a 10/100Mbps switch is more than enough for overall internet connectivity, a 10/100/1000 isn't needed for browsing the web, but if your sharing files between wired machines, it sure does help speed things up, and 10/100/1000 is becoming standard these days.

Yeah I didn't fully understand my bits and bytes before asking that, pretty sure I do now. One last question about determining download speeds without a converter.
Also my modem is 10/100 Mbps, same as my router and my computers are 10/100/1000 Mbps, so I should be good. will be buying a switch in the future.

Back
Top Bottom