putting only monitors to sleep

cliffhucker

In Runtime
I want to be able to put my monitors to sleep but not my processor/hardrive etc.

In the power options i have it set to "turn off display"s in 20 minutes and to "never" "put the computer to sleep"

but when i use the sleep key on my keyboard or select "sleep" from the start menu it puts my computer to sleep.

Is there a way that when i select "sleep" that only the monitors sleep?

Mainly is there a way without installing additional software?

I have 9 monitors that i would like to beable to ideally put to sleep on command with the sleep key on my Razer keyboard.

thanks

i hear ya, that is what i have been doing but i have 9 monitors and it is a pain. and now my keyboard takes an additional 27 watts and it will sleep too with the monitors, which is nice.

Ideally i would like to change what happens when i select "sleep" but it does not give the option to sleep only monitors. I think windows 10 has the option. so wondering if there is a registry setting or something where i can change this.

anyway.

i am testing out "sleeper" and also "monitor off" sleeper has a smaller footprint but monitor off seems easier to initiate. Sleeper uses a hotkey to open sleeper then u have to select sleep. trying to write a macro maybe.

thanks

Pressing the Sleep button as you're doing it does exactly what it's meant to be doing - it puts the entire system into sleep mode. If you want to set your monitors to turn off...then turn down the # of minutes required for them to go to sleep/turn off, or if you want to manually do it, check out something like Nircmd and create custom shortcut(s) that you can create (or even use AutoHotKey to create a keyboard shortcut to the custom Nircmd command to sleep/turn off your monitors).

thanks Carnage. so it sounds like that is about the best/only way. The "Dekisoft monitor off utility" is working great (made a one key macro to run it) but i will try Nircmd and see if it has a smaller footprint to do the same thing.

FYI. Nircmd seems to be the cleanest/leanest way to do what i want. and maybe i can find other uses for it. I used instructions from here how create the shortcut.

now i can sleep all my monitors, keyboard and mouse with just one keystroke or click of icon. I re-assigned the sleep key on my board with a macro running the shortcut for Nircmd.

thanks all for the replies helping me work through this.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom