pros and cons of rooting android phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
i've only started looking at ALL the stuff cell phones can do now days -- for only 3 weeks or so. WOW... its just amazing to me.

All the new terminology and hardware that are in the phones.
maybe its because I had my phone for well over 2 years now.

anyway, have been looking at the advantages of rooting your phone (is there a real disadvantage?)

obviously, things can go wrong, but things can go wrong any time.

so wanted to ask --
1) on the process of doing it -- is it easy, hard, how to, etc?
2) is it worth it... i guess that question depends on what you want to do with it?
but i'm asking --- from a 1 to 10 (1 is don't, 10 is awesome that you did)

is rooting a 3-4 OR is it a 10-11?

3) how to get it back in case you need to?

thanks

1) Depends on your phone, but it ranges from 'impossible' to 'easily done in two minutes'.
2) It's worth it if you want to OC your phone at all (not quite worth it yet usually but in a year or so you might want to), and get rid of carrier-installed apps (that was the main one for me). Also, it means I can have a 'reboot phone' button on my homescreen which can be handy at times.

The main disadvantage is that it will void your warranty, or as you say something goes wrong.

so if something goes wrong -- there isn't a way to put the phone back the way it was?

is the bloat-ware (crap or installed apps) similar to a store bought computer ---- stuff you don't use or need, it slows computer down, takes up space and memory for nothing, etc.

so rooting is like putting a blank OS on the phone? then you add what you want?

doing that on a computer presents (or can present) other problems like drivers and features not working correctly.
I assume that can happen on the phone too?

thanks

There might he a way to go back to an un-rooted phone or stock as they call it. But it depends on the phone. Some have this some don't.

Yes the bloateare is just like that on a store bought pre-built. But some phones are not that bad. My attic only came with 1 app I would get rid of.

Rooting is jot like putting a blank OS on. It is like unlocking the Administrator account in Windows. It gives you super user access to do things with your phone that have been previously locked out by either the phone manufacturer or carrier.

Rooting a phone is not like that aspect of a PC if you do that it could harm others. 99.9% of the time though if you remove the programs, there is little to no chance to get them back.

My advice for right now use the phone as is. Don't look into rooting right away. You might find that you don't need to root to do what you want with the device.

I rooted my Captivate but never found the need for it. I have not rooted my Atrix and still don't find the need for it. As said rooting your phone can allow you to overclock, but it will also cause your battery to drain faster and possibly get even hotter than it normally does.

You just got into Android and the new system they have. Play around for a bit and find out if there isn't something that you want or need. At that time find out if it is cause you need root access or just the ability to side load applications.

I found that 90% of my issues were easily solved once I learned to side load. Basically using my PC to install apps that my carrier locks out due to no support for 3rd party installs. Since you are on AT&T this will apply for you as well. I can easily write up a guide and send you the program I use. It is rather simple.

The other 10% of my problems was that a program need root access. My solution was simple. Find a different program that didn't require root. Between the 2 alternatives I have been able to do what I want with my device without needing root access. A big part for me though is that it is very difficult to root my phone and in order to do so I would have to take it all the way back to factory settings and lose everything I got now. I just don't want to do that.

I know I suggested before to go to Android Central. They will have plenty of info for you about your device. You can also check out XDA Developers website as well. They are another great source of information.

99.9% of the time though if you remove the programs, there is little to no chance to get them back.
I use Uninstaller for Root, it lets you uninstall the built-in apps (any of them - even Maps and the Dialer app :p) but it backs up the .apk + data when you do, so you can reinstall it.
The main reason I rooted mine is because it came with about a dozen apps I'll never use. Things like Allshare, FM Radio, Aldiko ebook reader, Layar, GTalk, and a bunch of retarded clock widgets, and more.

My advice for right now use the phone as is. Don't look into rooting right away. You might find that you don't need to root to do what you want with the device.
Agreed.

THANKS!!!

so yeah, i will use the phone for a while first... it comes this week.

1) i had read about rooting is great (etc. etc. etc)
2) att blocks various apps/3rd party apps? (was thinking without actually knowing, but it would suck if i wanted an app that is blocked)
3) saw that att blocks tethering, but the default android phone allows it? don't know if i would need it, but if i'm getting an android phone and already pay for data --- why not be able to use it? why should i pay extra for a couple uses?

but anyway, the "side load" concept ---(which is new to me)
Sideload Android apps all you want with the Sideload Wonder Machine | Android Central

it seems that can or should solve many problems or issues that could come up?

I can easily write up a guide and send you the program I use. It is rather simple.
oh... i think that would be GREAT... i bet it would save people LOTS of time :)
i would appreciate it!

so just read this, from androidcentral:

"With the announcement that the Inspire will get Gingerbread AND be allowed off market app access, the only remaining reasons for you to root is if you want to put custok ROMs on your phone and/or totally customize the look of your phone. "

so att is allowing 3rd party apps now, or will be allowing in a few days.

anyway... looks like i will not have a need to root it after all :)

THANKS!!!

so yeah, i will use the phone for a while first... it comes this week.

1) i had read about rooting is great (etc. etc. etc)
2) att blocks various apps/3rd party apps? (was thinking without actually knowing, but it would suck if i wanted an app that is blocked)
3) saw that att blocks tethering, but the default android phone allows it? don't know if i would need it, but if i'm getting an android phone and already pay for data --- why not be able to use it? why should i pay extra for a couple uses?

but anyway, the "side load" concept ---(which is new to me)
Sideload Android apps all you want with the Sideload Wonder Machine | Android Central

it seems that can or should solve many problems or issues that could come up?

1. Rooting can be great, if you plan on installing custom ROMS, overclocking your CPU and things like that. It is not all of that if you just want to make the most of your device. I have had 2 android devices now and have yet to see a desperate need for Root.

2. Yes AT&T blocks things like the Amazon App Store. I also download various things from XDA as well and have to sideload them all.

3. Tethering is blocked cause it is a separate plan. You have to pay an additional $15 for that option on AT&T and if you use it, they will know and slap you with that extra $15 charge. You pay for data, but you dont pay to use their data on any other device but your phone. That is where they get you.

oh... i think that would be GREAT... i bet it would save people LOTS of time :)
i would appreciate it!

Will Get it done today.

so just read this, from androidcentral:

"With the announcement that the Inspire will get Gingerbread AND be allowed off market app access, the only remaining reasons for you to root is if you want to put custok ROMs on your phone and/or totally customize the look of your phone. "

so att is allowing 3rd party apps now, or will be allowing in a few days.

anyway... looks like i will not have a need to root it after all :)

It is only the Inspire 4G that will have this option turned off on. From that phone on, not backward. So if you dont have that device or newer, you dont have the ability to install 3rd party apps still. They are not going to turn on for the other Android devices out there. So while your right they are turning it on, it is only useful for 1 phone at this time.

3. Tethering is blocked cause it is a separate plan. You have to pay an additional $15 for that option on AT&T and if you use it, they will know and slap you with that extra $15 charge. You pay for data, but you dont pay to use their data on any other device but your phone. That is where they get you.

android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

:)

Requires root and a kernel that supports netfilter, though. Upside is that you get to use the data plan you're already paying for... instead of being charged extra for the data plan you already pay for. Have used it a few times just to test it, and it works decently. No extra charges on my bill, either.

carnageX:1904339 said:

android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

:)

Requires root and a kernel that supports netfilter, though. Upside is that you get to use the data plan you're already paying for... instead of being charged extra for the data plan you already pay for. Have used it a few times just to test it, and it works decently. No extra charges on my bill, either.

To bad this doesnt work for AT&T Devices. If you look at the list they provide, they are all older Verizon phones. Not a single one of them is AT&T and the Samsung Infuse is not included. They are all older devices with the newest version of Android being supported is Eclair on the Fasinate. Since they have just started to roll out Froyo on that device recently.

So I dont think his Samsung Infuse 4G would be supported, let alone an AT&T phone to get by this. Every attempt I have made has gotten me slapped with the $15 tethering plan for the month. AT&T is very strict and it cant be gotten around. So yes Larry would still get nailed for the charge, just as I do cause not even my Atrix is supported.

It should still work as long as you're rooted and have a kernel that supports netfilter. There's been people that use AT&T over at XDA Forums that have gotten it to work: [Q] Best app for free Tethering/Wifi hotspot? - Page 2 - xda-developers

Just because it doesn't say it's specifically supported on that old list, doesn't mean it won't work; those are probably phones that the dev has tried and got it working for sure. Just go to the download page and pick the newest one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom