Problems with wifi and the router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruchul

Solid State Member
I have this router;
http://web.bona.com.tw:8888/pc/wl-r4rii.htm

It seemed to be working properly; two computers use the internet wirelessly from it. However, neither a laptop or nintendo DS seem able to access the signal wirelessly, at the moment the laptop is stationary and has an ethernet cable to it, the DS cannot even detect the signal.

I have very limited knowledge when it comes to LAN, WAN, wifi and such: I'm not even sure whether my router is wifi compatible!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Link appears dead to me... Not bringing anything up for me at work here. Probably a firewall issue, because the home page is fine, but anything trying to access port 8888 isn't working... anyways....

Is this router 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n?
What type of wireless security are you using on the router?
Are you broadcasting the SSID?
How many IP addresses are in the DHCP pool?
Is the router using the most currect (stable) firmware revision?
Have you tried updating the wireless drivers on the laptop or the DS?

I can tell you now that DS/Wii, only operates on the B frequency. So hopefully you have an older B router or a newer B/G compatible one that can send mixed signals.

Is this router 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n?
-802.11b

What type of wireless security are you using on the router?
-WEP

Are you broadcasting the SSID?
- It is enabled

How many IP addresses are in the DHCP pool?
-The DHCP client list appears empty at the present moment in time, the AP one has 2 listed.

Is the router using the most currect (stable) firmware revision?
-Yes

Have you tried updating the wireless drivers on the laptop or the DS?
-To my knowledge, there is no way to update the DS drivers. The laptop has the most recent I can find

Ok, good so far with the info... Sorry I wasn't clear about the DHCP pool question though. I mean how many AVAILABLE addresses are there in the DHCP pool? If there number of available addresses is LESS than the number of hosts that will be connecting, you will have problems on some of the hosts.

IP Pool Starting Address 192. 168. 1. 2
IP Pool Ending Address 192. 168. 1. 254

Assuming this is the information you need, there are 253 available addresses.

Ok, is the DS KNOWN to work wirelessly? (not in general, I mean yours, have you used the wireless feature before through a router?)

Next, is the laptop able to DETECT the wireless network and just not connect? If so, I would suspect a passkey has been mis-typed, or perhaps the router has MAC Address filtering enabled, and this address isn't on the list.

The DS is unproven.
The laptop cannot detect the network.

I am really quite confused on this one.

After a bit of checking, it would appear the laptop was missing some drivers. That is now working fine.
The DS must be the problem.

Thanks to anyone who tried to help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom