problems with steam and half life 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troubledyouth

In Runtime
i bought half life 2 and dled the newest version of steam. i can't play half life 2 on offline mode.this is a major problem cause i have dial up.when i go and look at the properties menu of hl2 it says that it has only acquired 99%.i don't know what this means.i have all the updates. if i click to launch the game it will go to a loading screen and just freeze causeing me to restart my whole computer.someone help me

ok for one this should be in PC games, but we are here to help you :D. well if you dled steam, before that did it work without steam. if yes then its becasue your HL2 is running on steam and sence sream is a online server then tahts y your having that problem it wont load for dail-up sucks when i t comes to online games dude. KNow if its not that and it worked with steam before um... i cant see y it wouldnt work.

this may take about an hour on 56k but it is worth it.

Go to you steam root folder ie: C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam or where ever ur steam folder is and delete the file clientregistry.blob (Steam Must be closed when you do this!)

Once you have done that re open steam and it should come up with the updating bar.. and because your on 56k it might take awhile..

or another couple of options, if you have a frnd with HL2 and a dvd burner get him to burn the following files from the steam\steamapps folder.

Halflife2content.gcf
Half-life engine.gcf
platfrom.gcf

i think that is all the files you need, or your other option is to take ur pc to a frnds who has adsl and download the updatest there..

There was a new update a couple days ago...maybe it is still downloading?

If not...

I remember there is a bug where Steam just sits at 99%. It's not because the server is busy (it shouldn't be right now anyways). Reinstall everything...HL2, Steam, and etc. Usually this fixes it.

do you really think he has the time to re install the whole game on 56k?

uninstalling it will delete all the .gcfs and that will cause him to have to re download all of them. that is over 1GB of files just for HL2 and over 6GB for everything.

Your best bet is what i suggested. deleting that files fixed most common steam problems.

Sprooty said:
do you really think he has the time to re install the whole game on 56k?

uninstalling it will delete all the .gcfs and that will cause him to have to re download all of them. that is over 1GB of files just for HL2 and over 6GB for everything.

Your best bet is what i suggested. deleting that files fixed most common steam problems.

It depends...I would assume that a 56k customer would buy retail. I could be wrong.

Also, I don't think his problem is he doesn't have those files...he is at 99%. There is a bug experienced by quite a few people where the download gets stuck. You can either reinstall or try and delete the client blob like you suggested. If you have retail reinstall takes 10-15 minutes and then you have to download updates and etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom