Problem Running AVG and Avast Together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZhengHe

In Runtime
I've been attempting to run AVG and Avast together without much success. You may question the advantage or reason of running 2 antivirus programs together, but I see it this way:

Avast is thorough and reliable, but the scan is very long, sometimes more then 5 hours on its most thorough setting. It also has a quick scan that runs at comparable speeds to AVG, about 45 minutes (This is on my computer, a Dell 4300S with Windows XP, so times will most likely vary). Avast is also very customizable too.

Now, AVG is also a very good and free Virus Scanner ( btw both these scanners are free editions) that scans very quickly, quicker then any setting on Avast. It has several features, though not quite as many as Avast and has a much simpler interface.

I feel it bit safer running both, because they both check differently: one is more thorough and one is less, run at different speeds, and are different software in general. There approaches to antivirus prevention are both independent. I figure if I get a virus one doesn't detect the other one will.

Ok, now heres the deal. I've heard I can run both at the same time, but I've had troubling accomplishing that. I had a conversation with one of the mods about my problem and he suggested I post it. Heres my conversation with the mod:

ZhengHe:

"Avast! has been very reliable. It may work with other AV programs, but will not work in conjunction with Norton AV and several adjustments must be made to work with AVG. However, it is a good standalone AV". --DMo224.

I thought I had figured out how to use both Avast and AVG in conjunction, but recently I've been getting an error message from Avast:

Avast detected that the following program is running: AVG Antivirus version 6.0. The on access scanner module of this program and the on access scanner of Avast cannot be active at the same time. As a result, the Avast main access scanners-Standard Shield, P2P Shield and Instant Messaging Shield are disabled.

Now the problem isn't that its disabled, its that the same error message keeps appearing; when I try to disable those parts of AVG and when I try to disable Avast. Can you tell me which adjustments I have to make in order for both Antiviruses to work in conjunction?

DMo224:

Re: Running both AVG and Avast
Hi,

I had to disable everything with AVG so that it would only do scans when I clicked for it do scans in order to run Avast. I was told that it could do some other things with Avast, but I'm not totally sure what.

I suggest disabling AVG and see if Avast runs. If it does, then you can add one of the AVG features to see if it will run. It's a process of elimination that I didn't go through completely.

BTW, we need to put this in a thread so others can read and comment.

Dave

ZhengHe wrote on 06-30-2004 11:08 AM:

What do you mean by disabling AVG. I try to disable it, but was only able to disable resident shield. Control Center, email scanner, and virus database all wouldn't disable. they all remained functional. Can you be more specific on what you did to disable AVG.

If the conversation was confusingly compiled I apologize. Anyway it would really help if someone knows how to resolve this problem if they could post. I would really appreciate it. If that you then please post, I could use the help.

:)Thanks in Advance, ZhengHe

Re: Running both AVG and Avast

With the AVG interface up, click on Program, then select Control Center. When the pop-in menu is up, there are different tabs for those functions. I went through each tab and disabled the functions by unclicking the choices. Then when you click okay and go back, you should see those disabled.

That may help with running both!

A personal preference, but I don't like running Avast with AVG pretty much disabled, so I am back with AVG and Norton (along with my spyware killers).

Dave :D

Yes I know, I've done that; twice in fact, but the error message I mentioned continues to appear whenever I reboot my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom