Power outage, now internet doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

codsterman

Beta member
About a month ago there was a power outage at my house, and the internet on my Windows XP desktop stopped working. I was using a Winsock fix since then, but today I tried three times and it stopped working. I know I'm not giving a lot of details, but does anyone have any other fixes for this? Thanks.

Could be that the power surge annihilated the router/modem/your PC's network card.
Do you have all of the above plugged into a surge protector? (If not, do so!)

Also, does the internet work on any other computer using the same network?
Try using an ethernet cable to plug your computer directly in to the modem.

Could be that the power surge annihilated the router/modem/your PC's network card.
Do you have all of the above plugged into a surge protector? (If not, do so!)

Also, does the internet work on any other computer using the same network?
Try using an ethernet cable to plug your computer directly in to the modem.

Good advice and questions.

@codsterman- Give us some more info. What kind of connection are you using? Dialup, DSL, cable, fiber, what?
How are you connected? Wirelessly, wired through a router, wired to the modem?
What all have you tried besides the winsock workaround? And what was the workaround?

Sorry guys, I'm not too tech savvy, haha.
@ownaholic I don't think I have a surge protector. Are they expensive?
Yes, I can connect to the internet on my laptop, and I've tried plugging the modem right into the computer. Still nothing.

@Trotter as I said, I'm not too tech savvy, but I think I have a DSL connection.
I'm plugged into a Linksys router, which is plugged into the modem, which is plugged into the wall. Maybe that's a cable connection then?
I've tried the winsock workaround, and plugging the modem right into the computer. So far only the winsock has worked. It's just a program called Winsockxpfix that I run, then the computer reboots and it works fine. But I had to do this every time I turned my PC off.

Thanks for the help, guys! Much appreciated.

Sorry guys, I'm not too tech savvy, haha.
@ownaholic I don't think I have a surge protector. Are they expensive?
Yes, I can connect to the internet on my laptop, and I've tried plugging the modem right into the computer. Still nothing.

@Trotter as I said, I'm not too tech savvy, but I think I have a DSL connection.
I'm plugged into a Linksys router, which is plugged into the modem, which is plugged into the wall. Maybe that's a cable connection then?
I've tried the winsock workaround, and plugging the modem right into the computer. So far only the winsock has worked. It's just a program called Winsockxpfix that I run, then the computer reboots and it works fine. But I had to do this every time I turned my PC off.

Thanks for the help, guys! Much appreciated.

No worries, we all learn somewhere!

A surge protector is basically like an adapter that you plug into your wall's outlet, that turns that single outlet, into multiple outlets. However, they make some with surge protection, and some without. (Almost all modern ones have it) The basic principle behind surge protection, is that sometimes during storms, the power can go out. When the power abruptly goes out, this means that the power lines outside received an excess amount of energy going through the wires (and ultimately through yours), which overloads your computer and other components, ultimately causing them to fail.
This can cause a whole world full of problems for electrical equipment that was plugged in to the outlet which was affected. The idea behind surge protectors, is basically to stabilize the energy being pumped in, and to keep your electronics safe(r).

And the good news is, no, they aren't very expensive. =]
You can find some very cheap ones for around $3-6. Like this one: Amazon.com: Belkin 6-Outlet Home/Office Surge Protector: Electronics
There are more expensive ones with more functions, but those are usually not worth the extra money unless you really need those extra functions.

Also, even if your computer and modem/routers were off during the storm, but were still plugged in to the outlet, then it is still possible for them to be affected.

Bear in mind, surges can affect any kind of electronic device: Computers, Computer Monitors, Speakers, Televisions, Cable Boxes, Modems, Routers, Video Game Systems, etc. So it is usually a good idea to get a surge protector for all of your important electronics. Not to mention, you will receive the added benefit of having more outlets available!

The best protection against surges, however, is by simply unplugging electronics when you aren't using them. By the way, this will also save you a very small amount on your energy bill, because some electronics use energy even when they are off (cell phone chargers are included!). A rough estimate is that if 100,000 people unplugged their xbox's when they weren't using them, we would save as much energy as taking 30,000 cars off the road.

Now, since you can still use the internet on your laptop, and even using an ethernet cable directly to the modem gives you nothing, this means it's a problem with the computer itself. One of the possibilities is that it is a driver issue. In a nutshell, drivers are what computer programs use to operate and communicate efficiently with the computer. If your network card (the thing inside your computer that connects you wirelessly to the internet) got an extra jolt of electricity during the surge, it could mean one of two things: 1) The driver got scrambled. 2) The entire network card is dead.

I'm going to take the high-road and assume the network card is just completely dead. Just to be sure, though, go to the Windows Start Menu > Type in "Device Manager" in the search box > Click on "Device Manager" > Double-Click on "Network Adapters", and tell me everything that is listed there. If there is nothing listed, it means your network adapter has bit the dust. If you see something in the list, double click on it, and look where is says "Device Status". If it is still alive, it should say "This device is working properly". If you see that, it is likely a driver issue. Anything else there (or nothing in the list at all to choose from) = dead network card.

The good news is that you can buy an external (meaning outside-of-the-computer case) network card for around $20 on Newegg, which will connect you to the internet just like your current internal (meaning inside the computer case) network card does.
In fact, this is the very same one I am using for my custom-built computer right now:
Newegg.com - TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless Adapter High Gain IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128 bits WEP
WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)

All you do is install the drivers by using the CD they give you. (It is very user-friendly and easy to install; just a few clicks and you're done). Then all you have to do is plug your network in to a USB port, then connect to your network, and you're set!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Haha awesome. I'll pick one up tomorrow, thanks.
So under network adapters I've got:
1394 Net Adapter
Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Does it make a difference having an external network card as opposed to internal? Like, does one run better, or is one safer than the other? Not too worried about price if it's a huge difference. I'd rather have something that will last than have to replace it again in a couple months.

Haha awesome. I'll pick one up tomorrow, thanks.
So under network adapters I've got:
1394 Net Adapter
Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Does it make a difference having an external network card as opposed to internal? Like, does one run better, or is one safer than the other? Not too worried about price if it's a huge difference. I'd rather have something that will last than have to replace it again in a couple months.

There isn't much of a difference between the two. Well, there IS a difference, but it isn't that important when talking about network cards. Traditionally speaking, internal anything is better than external anything when talking about computers. This is because often times, the connections directly to a computer's motherboard are faster than the connections outside the computer. For example: A "SATA" connection is faster than "USB". But "SATA" is only a connection for components to motherboards.
However, that would be a very complicated process for you to have to open your case, find your network card, properly take it out, and properly replace it with a new one; all without shocking the components inside. Like surges from storms, working with electrical equipment inside computers can produce electric shocks (like when you shock yourself on your car door in the winter) which can completely kill off a piece of hardware. You might even shock the hardware without knowing it; shocks that we cannot even feel are enough to fry the components.

Because of this, doing anything on the inside of a computer is a very delicate and sometimes difficult process. So you'd have to 100% know what you were looking for, and also have an anti-static wrist strap to ground yourself electrically.

In short, it's just easier to get an external network card. =] For reference, I'm using the one I listed from Newegg right now, and my router is located an entire floor below me, and I still receive a very strong signal. The reviews on Newegg should speak for themselves. However, we might still be able to fix your connection.

I do have two quick questions for you:
1) In the Device Manager, double click on the network card. Does it say "This device is working properly"?
2) What Operating System (like Windows 7, Windows Vista, XP, etc) are you running your computer on?

There isn't much of a difference between the two. Well, there IS a difference, but it isn't that important when talking about network cards. Traditionally speaking, internal anything is better than external anything when talking about computers. This is because often times, the connections directly to a computer's motherboard are faster than the connections outside the computer. For example: A "SATA" connection is faster than "USB". But "SATA" is only a connection for components to motherboards.
However, that would be a very complicated process for you to have to open your case, find your network card, properly take it out, and properly replace it with a new one; all without shocking the components inside. Like surges from storms, working with electrical equipment inside computers can produce electric shocks (like when you shock yourself on your car door in the winter) which can completely kill off a piece of hardware. You might even shock the hardware without knowing it; shocks that we cannot even feel are enough to fry the components.

Because of this, doing anything on the inside of a computer is a very delicate and sometimes difficult process. So you'd have to 100% know what you were looking for, and also have an anti-static wrist strap to ground yourself electrically.

In short, it's just easier to get an external network card. =] For reference, I'm using the one I listed from Newegg right now, and my router is located an entire floor below me, and I still receive a very strong signal. The reviews on Newegg should speak for themselves. However, we might still be able to fix your connection.

I do have two quick questions for you:
1) In the Device Manager, double click on the network card. Does it say "This device is working properly"?
2) What Operating System (like Windows 7, Windows Vista, XP, etc) are you running your computer on?

Well I was actually asking to see if I should take it in or not to get that, haha. But I guess we'll see if it's a software problem rather than a hardware problem first, haha.

1) It says it's running fine for both of them.
2) I'm using Windows XP

EDIT: I just found out that I DO have a surge protector. So maybe it's a software problem?

Well I was actually asking to see if I should take it in or not to get that, haha. But I guess we'll see if it's a software problem rather than a hardware problem first, haha.

1) It says it's running fine for both of them.
2) I'm using Windows XP

Realtek's website is a little screwy with their download system, so you'll have to do this:
1) Go to the following Link: cr.am browsing:
2) Look for where it says "WinXP, Win2K, Win2003 Auto Installation Program (SID:1469823)". Click on "US2" to the right. Download and Save the file to your desktop.
3) Unzip the file using Winrar.
4) There will be a lot of files in here, but all you have to do is double-click on "Setup.exe". It will be an "Application" file, and the icon will have an image.

Restart the computer after installing. If this doesn't fix it, then repeat the above steps, but instead download and install the "8111DP DASH All-In-One installation kit for WinXP/Vista/Win7".

Don't forget to try connecting to your network after installing.

If neither of these works -- well, let's find out if they work or not first, haha.

Realtek's website is a little screwy with their download system, so you'll have to do this:
1) Go to the following Link: cr.am browsing:
2) Look for where it says "WinXP, Win2K, Win2003 Auto Installation Program (SID:1469823)". Click on "US2" to the right. Download and Save the file to your desktop.
3) Unzip the file using Winrar.
4) There will be a lot of files in here, but all you have to do is double-click on "Setup.exe". It will be an "Application" file, and the icon will have an image.

Restart the computer after installing. If this doesn't fix it, then repeat the above steps, but instead download and install the "8111DP DASH All-In-One installation kit for WinXP/Vista/Win7".

Don't forget to try connecting to your network after installing.

If neither of these works -- well, let's find out if they work or not first, haha.

It worked!! Thanks so much!
Was that just a driver update or something?
I'll reply again on this post in a couple days just to make sure it holds up okay.
Again, thanks a ton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom