Potentially the longest thread in history...

I'm not a big fan on TN displays, though I see their appeal. I'd actually quite like this:

Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" G-SYNC 144Hz Gaming Monitor 2560x1440 1ms Tilt/Swivel/Pivot/Height Adjust - 90LM00U0-B01370 - Scan.co.uk

The price is atrocious for a TN panel, but I want it nevertheless. It's 8bit so it should atleast be amongst the better TN panels, so it's unlikely to annoy me too much.

Theres a few monitors I like at the moment. But they are all in the £500 to £1000 which isn't much good considering I want a triple screen setup. I don't quite have that much money :p

I'm waiting to see how impressive the Rift is, if it makes me want to never play games on a monitor again that makes my life easy as I can ignore input lag and pixel switching times and just focus on outright picture quality.

I spent a few hours playing with (and setting up) a friend's HTC One M8. Absolutely gorgeous, amazing phone. I was on the fence between the M8 and the N5, and now I'm sold on the M8. My contract is up in October, and even though it's £10/mo difference for unlimited texts+minutes+data (M8 = £38/mo, N5 = £28/mo), it's worth it.

My next monitor, provided finances work out in the next couple years, will be a 32" 4K monitor for desktop and work use (they're currently around £500), and a 27" 1080p or 1440p screen for gaming.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan on TN displays, though I see their appeal. I'd actually quite like this:

Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" G-SYNC 144Hz Gaming Monitor 2560x1440 1ms Tilt/Swivel/Pivot/Height Adjust - 90LM00U0-B01370 - Scan.co.uk

The price is atrocious for a TN panel, but I want it nevertheless. It's 8bit so it should atleast be amongst the better TN panels, so it's unlikely to annoy me too much.

Theres a few monitors I like at the moment. But they are all in the £500 to £1000 which isn't much good considering I want a triple screen setup. I don't quite have that much money :p

I'm waiting to see how impressive the Rift is, if it makes me want to never play games on a monitor again that makes my life easy as I can ignore input lag and pixel switching times and just focus on outright picture quality.
Markup due to it being a highly niche product like a regular IPS panel. A standard monitor here in the US can have as much as a 200 dollar markup just by having G-Sync.

Re: Today I have...

Today I have done absolutely nothing besides put in 2 apps recommended by a friend and fixed a friends PC. Trying this cache program too. I suppose that's productive.

Markup due to it being a highly niche product like a regular IPS panel. A standard monitor here in the US can have as much as a 200 dollar markup just by having G-Sync.

2560 x 1440 27" IPS monitors are £300, now bearing in mind IPS is more expensive to produce than TN, even taking into consideration the normal £100 markup for G-Sync, the monitor should be priced ~£400, not getting on for £700.

It's also an 8bit TN panel with 1ms response and 144Hz refresh, with the ROG name. Like I said, niche markup. You pay more to have neat toys in the PC world.

1ms... we both know it's noway near 1ms IRL :p

Even 4k 1ms 8bit GSYnc TN panels are £160 less than this monitor. I'm not saying it should be cheap, but £400 to £500 really is much more realistic.

Edit:

And 144Hz 27" 1080p 8bit GSync panels are £330. So 2x the cost just to go up to WQHD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom