Potentially the longest thread in history...

Got my skiing vacation in a bit under 2 weeks. We leave on the 19th Jan. Just going with a good friend.

Can't wait!. Been skiing loads, probably 11 or 12 times in my life. But always with my family. It's nice of course, but going with a friend for the first time is going to be more fun for sure. The next 2 weeks of work are going to suck. The days are really dragging...

I decided to make this a driver updating day. It seems I have been a tad lax in that area, mainly from sheer laziness if the truth be known. It didn't take very long to get everything up to date, though.

I have a "digital spring cleaning" weekend I set aside at least once every year.
I re-image my desktop and laptop. Still sticking with 18.04 on the desktop for now though.

I also go through my NAS and Proxmox infrastructure to clean out old backups, clean up old files, old snapshots that I have open that are still hanging around, etc. If it's in need I re-image my Proxmox servers (takes 2-3 hours to get everything back up).

I also take this time to decommission old VM's.... I've decommed 30 in the last year :lol:

So, on the 31st I have what is colloquially known as "the op", so been upping my entertainment game for recovery (minimum 4 weeks off work). One of my partners, Naomi, is a film grad and so has given me a huge list of films she wants me to go through, and so I've finally bought a TV:
https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE49NU7100KXXU/
Got it for £360 new.

Come the 27th when I get paid, I'm also picking up a Switch with Mario Odyssey and Zelda BOTW.

That all ought to keep me occupied :D

In regards to digital spring cleaning, as the licenses we get given for our labs at work are semi-trial licenses that last 3 months, I'm essentially rebuilding my entirely lab from scratch every three months. I don't need to - I can just relicense them, but it's excellent practice for the initial configuration and management of Palo Alto, Fortinet etc.
For my team I've written a lot of guides and documentation, and I deliberately use them each time and update anything that's out of date.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom