Potentially the longest thread in history...

Warp is majorly light threaded, 2-3 threads, which they mention in the Techspot (not Anand) article (although for me it's typically 1 sometimes 2). Another deal breaker here is that article they're using 3200 on Intel vs 3400 on the AMD platform. WIth RAM pricing the way it is I doubt you'll go above the 3000 mark (especially in Aus while trying to reduce costs for management who only see dollar signs) meaning the percentage is greater the lower the RAM speed is. This is Infinity Fabric after all. You can see this clearly in their memory benchmark table. Another thing to mention is that Warp is CUDA accelerated which means most of the load for that will be on the GPU vs the render which will majorly come down to CPU. The difference between the half minute on the 2700x stock and the 7820x stock isn't anything to write home about, but render times also strictly come down to codec used and extras added to the render. This is something that can't be gauged by benchmarks alone.

To me time is money. Half a minute to a minute on one render can become 30 minutes after a few renders, and hundreds of minutes after a multitude of renders. Subjectively no benchmark can show your proper figure, but conclusively the 7820x (and sometimes the 8700k) is faster than the 2700x stock.

Again, I'm not saying you made the wrong decision, if nobody is marking down times in a comparison nobody will know the difference. Just that the difference IS there and could be bigger down the road based on use case and RAM speed used.

Really? Anand's rendering tests were only around ~8% faster on average too iirc, even got beaten in warp stabilization which is something the guys will be doing a lot of.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1613-amd-ryzen-2700x-2600x/page2.html

Marijuana affects the memory :p it has an effect on your ability to convert short term to long term

I wondered if it was the weed but the fact I only smoke it for 2 weeks every 3 or 4 months makes me think not, plus my memory was bad before I started doing weed.

I did read that high sugar / trans fat diets and low in vitamins can cause issues creating memories. My diet is definitely in that category, so maybe that's it...

Well, after 3 months of waiting for the role I want to happen, on Monday they said they're holding off on recruitment "for the foreseeable" future. F******ck them. Had a phone interview at a place in Hampshire that does tech support for netsec appliances today - went well, and have the full interview on the 3rd.

Subjectively no benchmark can show your proper figure, but conclusively the 7820x (and sometimes the 8700k) is faster than the 2700x stock.
Definitely, some stuff especially it creams the 2700x in (see Lightroom usage in general). For general work in premiere and Ae it's close enough most of the time, I'll take the performance hit if it means I can save $79 on a 3rd party cooler, $300 on the cpu ($469 vs $769) and $150 on the motherboard ($229 vs $399).

Again, I'm not saying you made the wrong decision, if nobody is marking down times in a comparison nobody will know the difference. Just that the difference IS there and could be bigger down the road based on use case and RAM speed used.

Yeah, if I had my druthers I'd totally stick with the 7820x. I want these machines to last for the next 3-4 years minimum, the extra pcie lanes and mem support on the intel chip would be extremely nice let alone the increased power. I've got 4x 16gb 3200mhz sticks in each rig luckily, managed to get a decent discount to fit them in.
Unfortunately, the GM is a stupid *** b**** who'd *totally* approve spending the $54k on the iMacs if the PC cost wasn't the substantial amount less that it is :/ but heavens forbid spending ~4-5k more on the PC hardware and *only* saving 13k over going with Macs -_-
A lot of the drive for the Macs is coming from one developer, his arguments are "Macs are more efficient", "Macs run Adobe software better", "Macs don't get viruses", "Macs render quicker". Pretty sure he's got an Apple tattoo fml :grin: but that's who the GM is listening to, not her entire IT dept.

I wondered if it was the weed but the fact I only smoke it for 2 weeks every 3 or 4 months makes me think not, plus my memory was bad before I started doing weed.

I did read that high sugar / trans fat diets and low in vitamins can cause issues creating memories. My diet is definitely in that category, so maybe that's it...

I was just joking :p was the perfect spot for chapelle's line.
Seriously tho, how much you actually use/train your memory will also be a big part of it. There's a ton of memory exercises and techniques, there's even browser extensions now lol that remind you about things you're trying to remember using the spaced repetition method. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hibou/adndegnbdnefpaelcbpdchpngejmggbl?hl=en

My memory troubles are because I have a hard time with dates/times. I couldn't tell you what I was doing a week ago or on a certain date, but if you jog me with something specific that happened at that time it'll sort of snowball when I concentrate on that memory. Dunno if you get the same thing.

Anyone else have really bad memory ? I do and I find it really frustrating. Like my family will talk about the winter holidays we've been on, and I just can't remember. They will discuss the differences between different ski resorts, and I can rarely remember half as much. I couldn't even tell you what resort I last went to, other than it was in 2016 some time.

And then just day to day stuff, like I am sat in my car thinking about what music to play. I can only ever think of literally 3 or 4 bands at any one time. I'll be like "erm, Fleetwood Mac... London Grammar... U2..........Fleetwood Mac?" and I will just get stuck on the same three to five bands. I just saw some video on YouTube where they picked a word out of the box and had to sing a song with that word in it. WTF, no way I could do that. I can't remember any lyrics to any song, let alone remember songs with a specific word in it and sing them off the top of my head.

I can't ****ing tell you how many times I have read what the difference is between affect and effect is. I google it, I read it, and it makes perfect sense and I get it. By the next day i've forgotten. Rinse repeat 5 times a year for the past 10 years. I am quite confident I have read the difference 50+ times but it has NEVER stuck for more than 24 hours. There are a few other things like that too. Some things no matter how simple and how many times I try and remember them, I just can't.

Yeah it's pissing me off big time. I did some googling and nothing about it suggests I have any kind of medical condition or have anything to genuinely worry about, it's just a case of **** memory. I can remember what really counts like names and relationships, how to drive and how to do my job. But everything else.... bleh

One of the reasons I left my previous job was that because it had all become so simple and mundane, I never had to engage my brain at all. It meant I was just wandering through my job in a forgetful fog, which I hated because I evidently wasn't learning or growing at all.

Depends on the state - where I live, it's a "right to work" state, meaning an employer can fire you at any time for any reason, excluding the obvious protected reasons (disability, gender, religion, race, etc.). Most places will do like a "work improvement plan" or probation if you get in trouble (depending on the offense of course), but they don't have to.

Damn i'd be really worried about losing my job all the time if it was the same here.

Back
Top Bottom