Potentially the longest thread in history...

Have been working on so many projects lately... from a small youtube project to setting up a DC for my network now that I have so many devices that it's actually easier to have a DC... BLEH

Its actually easier to have DC on your network. WOW. Seriously post some pics. I'm well curious too see this multitude of Preferals that would warrant this. :p

Not going to bother taking pictures of all the users computers, my network spreads two separate homes now. My ESXi host alone has 6 Win based VM's aside from the DC. So yeah, it's easier to use a DC and have people log in that way onto the network. Makes network wide changes SOO much easier. Change the proxy IP? Woo, only one place to edit that information at! :D Change where a network share is for a user? Only need one change, they don't even need to be logged in or machine on :D

I've had one set up at home for a while. Ansible does config management, FreeIPA does auth and logins for everything. 100% Linux* in this household. Woooo

* except for my gaming desktop

Random football/soccer rant.

I follow my team (Leicester City), and unofficial fan pages on Facebook. Every week we play, I see **** like:

"Demarai Gray would be nice to start on Sunday, but he played 120 minutes on Wednesday, can't expect to play for another 90 today"

You see that kind of comment and opinion all the time. Sorry but, what the ****. The guy is a professional football player. He's 20 years old. All he does is train for football, and you're telling me it's not fair to expect him to be able to play more than 1 full game per week ? that's ****ing stupid. I am not fit at all, but when I do some heavy exercise it doesn't take me 5 god damn days to recover. By the next day, I can do it again. And I am an overweight IT guy. People that train to do marathons run a lot more than once a week. I just think it's bull****, if you are a fit professional athlete you should be able to play a full game every day, or every other day at worst.

I think I will be taking some hard drives out back and play target practice... 100% done with seagate. Have had 3 drive failures this year alone, and one drive isn't even 2 years old yet, but passes their friggen seatools test, yet I can't read data from certain sectors at all, it never recovers from what is apparently a group of bad sectors!

I think I will be taking some hard drives out back and play target practice... 100% done with seagate. Have had 3 drive failures this year alone, and one drive isn't even 2 years old yet, but passes their friggen seatools test, yet I can't read data from certain sectors at all, it never recovers from what is apparently a group of bad sectors!
It's funny because all of my Seagate drives still work and in Backblaze environments no less. I'm kind of worried because the drives I have now for my new server are all WD Blues.

That's what throws me off I have a mixture of drives that are kept cool and have rubber isolation mounts to help prevent excessive vibrations. Only one WD is acting up (1TB Blue) but it's about 5 years old now. All in, I have the following in one of my servers

2x 1TB Seagates
2x 2TB Seagates (Had a third for R5, it failed and downgraded the array to R0)
1x 4TB Seagate (Failing)
1x 1TB Blue
1x 2TB Black

My other server has 10x 4TB WD RE disks, hopefully none of those start to fail, granted I have a pair of hotspares sitting there for it.

I am just at the point of being done with seagate... Lets not forget, they are also just now being slapped with a class action suit for failure rates of 3TB disks being overly high.

The way I see it, if a manufacture sits and charges $150 for a disk with a 2 year warranty, but their competitor charges $150 for a disk with the same specs with a 3 year warranty, then the previous manufacture has cut corners somewhere and doesn't have as much faith in their disk.

So yeah, I am leaning HGST Ultrastars or Deskstars in the future for that server.

As far as the Blues PP... Keep them cool, they will last you a long while if you keep vibrations low and keep em cool. Had PFSense + SQUID, Server 2k12, Win7, and WinXP all running from that blue before it started to run into access time issues during heavy usage. Granted, that is based on a WD Blue that is now ~5 years old.

I'm on regular ADSL BB so get this. I fired off an E Mail to my ISP after not paying my latest bill. Well **** I think they are now throttling my line simply because they cut me off and my speeds are crap after I sent the E Mail. I think they know I am using a VPN..

SOOO no **** I think I'm truly busted. Gutner.

Man it feels like the weekends are far too short sometimes -_- came into work to find my inbox full of emails from the CEO and my boss, looks like it's gonna be one busy *** day.

I swear, I'm just about ready to quit this job and say **** the consequences. Unfortunately there's a small thread of sanity still intact that says maybe living under a bridge isn't so great an idea :p

Man it feels like the weekends are far too short sometimes -_- came into work to find my inbox full of emails from the CEO and my boss, looks like it's gonna be one busy *** day.

I swear, I'm just about ready to quit this job and say **** the consequences. Unfortunately there's a small thread of sanity still intact that says maybe living under a bridge isn't so great an idea :p

Yeah, the wifi reception sucks under there. ;)

I do know the feeling about just saying *** it, though. I got hit Thursday morning with some stomach bug, went home after only an hour or two. In bed all of Thursday and Friday. At 3:00 I get a call that I have a store with an emergency, 1/3 of the store is down and the owner is going nuts. I try to call my manager but she is on a conference call and can only text, says to call the buy in Kentucky (the guy in west Alabama is out with a death in the family). The guy in Kentucky says he would be happy to run the call but he doesn't have the part the call needs. So I get to drag my happy *** out of bed, get dressed, drive three hours to the call. I replace the part but then get to dick around almost two hours waiting on support to get with me because my company is too f'ing cheap to hire enough people. I ended up getting home at 1:40AM from the call.

Back
Top Bottom