Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

I'm of the opinion that as long as you can afford it (both time- and money-wise) there's no excuse not to be learning all the time.

Today I have decided I'm going back to college. I want to get my Ph.D. in Linguistics. Good idea?

If you are interested in going into teaching/research it's a good idea.

Personally I'm a semester away from graduating with a bachelors in CompSci and you couldn't pay me enough to continue on and get a Ph.D.

If you are interested in going into teaching/research it's a good idea.

Personally I'm a semester away from graduating with a bachelors in CompSci and you couldn't pay me enough to continue on and get a Ph.D.

I minored in computer science. My major was German. After my two year minor in CompSci, I decided I wanted another course for the two years I had left while doing German. So for the next two years I took Spanish. Then after that I went to a local University to take Russian. Its always been my goal to get a Ph.D. But I know what you mean, the first few years all I wanted was to get out of there.

I for one hate iOS on the iPad. Sure, the iOS desktop works good one the iPhones small screen, but when you put it on a tablet it becomes inefficient, ugly, and leaves a lot to be desired IMO. It's the software that prevents me from buying an iPad. I like the hardware, it's a very nice machine. But with that ugly OS locked onto it, they can forget about my money.

Meh, I know what you mean.But how often do you actually spend looking at the iOS UI ? Apart from switching apps you are spending the time using apps which are optimized for iPad, and tend to make great use of the real estate. The ones optimized for the 2048x1536 display are really special. Sit down with a new iPad on a retina optimized app and I assure you that you will find it pretty much the most impressive screen you have ever looked at, webpages look phenomenal.

I honestly don't find it that inefficient either. Four finger swipe to switch apps, pinch to go to homescreen means you can get around really quick. I put in quite a lot of time on the TF Prime, and found that more confusing to get around and slower than iOS.

All that said, it is still a fundamentally flawed device for me. I'm somewhat of a poweruser on a PC, I like to be doing lots at once - usually demanding things too. And I can't do that on an iPad.. so it is of limited use to me unfortunately.

Dedicated soft button to switch between open apps, customizable grid/size/transitions/overlays, don't see how you couldn't have changed it to suit your own preference ;) it's not an iPad remember, what you get at stock isn't what you're stick with :p

A lot of people say that Android is more confusing/harder to use than iOS. I disagree. You just have to tweak it to your liking, which is what Android was designed for: Customization. I've got my phone setup perfectly, so I can access my favorite apps with one click, get weather without touching a damn thing, and play my music based on my mood. Yeah, I'll take Android over iOS any day.

Dedicated soft button to switch between open apps, customizable grid/size/transitions/overlays, don't see how you couldn't have changed it to suit your own preference ;) it's not an iPad remember, what you get at stock isn't what you're stick with :p

It was my dads so I couldn't really change it a whole lot.

A lot of people say that Android is more confusing/harder to use than iOS. I disagree. You just have to tweak it to your liking, which is what Android was designed for: Customization. I've got my phone setup perfectly, so I can access my favorite apps with one click, get weather without touching a damn thing, and play my music based on my mood. Yeah, I'll take Android over iOS any day.

You may be able to do all that, but can you scroll smoothly ? no.. no you can't. I tried, it's still not as smooth as iOS. Smooooooooooth :) Did I say smooth ?

I don't think Android is very user friendly for casual use either. It has a task manager.. to me, you shouldnt need a task manager on a tablet. I just want to use it how I want. In IOS I can open 100 apps and it still runs smoother than ICS, which requires closing stuff in a task manager and a load of crap like that. Its like useing Windows with 1GB of ram.

Functionally android is better, but I don't think it is of as good quality and ease of use as iOS.

Today I have been running around like crazy...
The wi-fi project in our district has lost all funding, so the batch of laptops at my school are pretty much useless as portable computers.
I've been proctoring star tests, fixed a few blown projectors, one broken computer.. and one printer.
then I had to go to my moms classroom and help her laminate... then off to school. Finished one class.. and am now sitting in the last one of the day waiting for it to start :tongue:

Speaking of majors and minors... Right now I'm officially double majoring in Physics and Computer Science... Computational Physicist! My physics adviser planted the idea in my mind...

And speaking of Ph.D.s.. my mother is close to her doctorate in some kind of adolescent studies.. Could you imagine a kindergarten teacher you'd have to call Doctor? That'd confuse the kids :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom