Potentially the longest thread in history...

well the top 3 paid forum systems are VB, IPB and xF.

I'm leaning more towards IPB though it's awesome. the admin panel was very freaking easy to use.

OMG it is soooo forum software awareness month. LOLOLOLOL....

I like a lil of all 3 of those. VB has lots of mods and stuff, IPB has lots of features and has a very professional feel to it, xF has this new vibe to it and feels more modern and has a good admin panel.

as for free software it's between mybb for classic forum interfaces, vanilla forums for customization and it's very new and fresh and intergrates with your site easier for a unified look, great admin panel as well,

for CMS php-fusion is very nice but it has no mobile app but it has built in gallery, downloads, etc.

joomla is very nice but some people say it's insecure and "cobbly" LOL.

The best CMS that I have used is probably wordpress honestly. Its pretty secure, has hundreds of thousands of add ons and you can do almost anything you want with it. vBadvanced is good with vBulliten 3.x and the vB CMS isn't bad but is still very buggy. We use vBCMS and there are some bugs with the admin end but overall after a complete custom design I am happy with it.

Re: Today I have...

that is really wierd. though IPS would be better on blacks.

Actually no, many TN panels have darker blacks.

My crappy samsung TN has darker blacks than the other Dell IPS in the house, and better blacks than iPad 2. The only IPS screen in the house which is almost as good is the Transformer Prime, but it has a glossy screen, which always improves contrast.

$240 total with tax. Thankfully Dell does have a good warranty on these displays.

I got a second opinion on it and after looking at it more closely it looks like the right half of the screen is the only part affected, the left edge has noticeably clearer blacks. I think it's safe to say I have a defective monitor rather than it being a problem with the model as a whole.

I wouldn't be so sure on that either. Lots of displays have uniformity issues if you look for it. My dads is slightly pink on the left hand side, it still looks great overall, but if you look for it you can see it. My IPS iMac was yellower on the top left half of the screen too, when I went on the forums it was very common and people went through about 3 or 4 iMacs until they found a perfect one.

So I think it's very common, thats why you pay thousands for Eizo displays.

I wouldn't be so sure on that either. Lots of displays have uniformity issues if you look for it. My dads is slightly pink on the left hand side, it still looks great overall, but if you look for it you can see it. My IPS iMac was yellower on the top left half of the screen too, when I went on the forums it was very common and people went through about 3 or 4 iMacs until they found a perfect one.

So I think it's very common, thats why you pay thousands for Eizo displays.

If exchanging it won't resolve the issue I'll probably just return it and pick up a $140 Samsung TN panel then. I can live with inferior color accuracy if it gets me better black levels and a $100 lower price. The black levels on the average TN panel are bad enough I never even considered that IPS could be even worse. One side of the screen is fine though but the other loses all detail on dark images, it kind of looks like the screen is washed out due to glare but it's still present in a completely dark room. Surely every one of these displays couldn't have such a serious flaw?

Now I'm wondering if I should still go ahead with exchanging it or just eat the restocking fee to be done with it.

Blacks on both my Samsungs aren't that great. The wash is kinda bad too. I actually haven't ever found a panel that was fitting to what I would call perfect. Backlighting is key I suppose.

So, asking this here because there's really nowhere to put it out in the forums. I want to buy my son a 5.1 channel (packaged) surround system for his bedroom, so I can put those behemoth Jensens in the basement. Does anyone know of a good DVD (Blu-Ray, if possible) surround system for $250 or under?

Finally got a splinter out of my hand, it was imbedded below the skin, only a needle could get it. Feels much better now. :smile:
Edit: Right after posting this, I bit into a chip and it got lodged in my gums in between my teeth. Now my mouth is bleeding. I hate chip splinters :p

Back
Top Bottom