Post your DOs And Donts about game development

Status
Not open for further replies.
beedubaya said:
This basically means for the time being we will have to continue to upgrade our graphics cards at least once if not twice per year to keep playing on max settings. This trend will come to an end though, it has to...just like other trends in PC gaming have come and gone.

I smell a slowdown after DX10 becomes mainstream. I think I'll get a 6800GS and then buy a good DX10 card in a year or two.

Ryan

Sw1tCh[FX] said:
Devs need to slow down on graphics develpment and concentrate more on gameplay mechanics and stability.
This isnt really the case in some games, HL2 was good all round (arpart from being short) Graphicly it was great on a wide range of hardware i put it on a 8500 P41.8 384RAM and it ran fine and looked great, very cinematic, mechanics were great (physics) But i surpose it is right to an extent when compaired to something like Medal Of Honor: SH

I'm perfectly happy with the way graphics are now, I love Half-Life and I think its the only good franchise. I remember when one of my friends who was a avid "hardcore" halo player got a computer and I introduced him Half-Life 2. Wow, he loved it, he liked it so much that he also played the first one. I have to agree that graphics don't matter, as long as I shat my pants once or twice and get attached to the story line, I love the game!

Beefcake said:
What developers need to do is stop working on sequels and start working on something new for a change. Developers are scared of new games becuase it might fail where as they could make a sequel to an already successful game. Although some sequels have a rapid change in gameplay most of them are just a refresh of graphics with a new function here and there.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is doing a whole lot of new things. The burnout series for instance I've played Burnout Revenge and it's a LOT like Burnout 3, if you never played Burnout 3 then Revenge is an awsome game but I feel that it doesn't offer really anything new to the franchise. Battlefront II is another example where if you've played the first one your going to have some deja vu.

This one game Bioshock which I just read in GameInformer and saw the picks looks like it will bring something different to the FPS department.

Sequels is what makes the gaming industy so exiting and big, just look at the hype for Halo 2and3 not to mention Doom3 and Half Life2. Dont tell me you cant wait for a sequel to your favourite game to come out...

Do - make games for all platforms. (console, PC ect)

Dont - try and tell us it plays best on Alienware.

boomstick666 said:
look how many violent movies and games comes from japan. and japan has one of the lowest crime rate in the world.

I just want to state that Japan has THE highest teen suicide rate in the world. :confused: But they believe it's because Japanese teens are under a lot of presure about grades because in Japan school is very important to people and their families.

But I do agree that foul language and video game violence do not contribute to increased crime 99% of the time. If a person is influenced from a game why would music, movies, or other media not have the same effect if not worse?

Ulti_DOOM said:
Sequels is what makes the gaming industy so exiting and big, just look at the hype for Halo 2and3 not to mention Doom3 and Half Life2. Dont tell me you cant wait for a sequel to your favourite game to come out...

Well to clearify myself I mean more toward franchises then sequels. Like with Nintendo, I love Mario but they feel all the same, but they know that Mario is extremely succesful and they don't want to risk putting millions of dollars in a new game that could be a flop. In a game like HL2 they didn't finish the story leaving the purpose for it more to games to come, where as Mario really has no story at all yet they continue to make more and more of them. Mario Party in particular. Final Fantasy franchise though is an exception because each has a different story (not including X and X-2) which is the main part of a RPG so it still works wonderfully.
I just want to see more new things in games. Some developers make sequels for sucessful games not for story but so they can make more money. It's just that seguels being made feel more like expansion packs then actual new games. I'm not saying all sequels shouldn't be made I would just like to see a new game before they go back to making another sequel (except valve, make HL3 now! :p)

than tell me what you would want to see thats new in a game... i dont think theres really anything else to do that isnt already done and that why the old single player shooter is getting old... and both single and multi RPG's are booming because theres soo manny different new things you can do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom