Pops, Clicks, Hiss and the just Plain Weird: Sound Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodNews101

In Runtime
I have an M-Audio Revolution 5.1 sound card in my brand new build. I was fortunate to find a set of brand new Logitech Z-640 5.1 computer speakers in the box for less than $50 (hey, I only game) and I was able to set them up last night. All jacks are where they need to be.

Well, as soon as the PC booted up I tried the sound and I was getting pops and clicks and some hiss. I went to Logitech's website and read carefully under their causes and solutions for this particualr set.

It appears that the issue lies squarly with the sound card; it has the latest as well as the last driver M-Audio provides for this card. But to make doubly sure I plugged the woofer into a totally different wall socket this morning and I got the same thing, so I don't think it is a grounding issue though I still may go ahead and purchase a three-prong plug.

1. To see if I could get any sound I loaded Red Alert 2 and the sound worked fine; I couldn't hear distortion -- until the game finished playing.

2. But if I go online I can even hear my mouse's wheel roll as if it is squeaking (absolutely no pun intended!). I kid you not!

3. If the sound is left on it sounds like it is either picking up fans or the harddrive rotating, i.e. electrical impulses but everything is grounded; I made sure twice. That is why I switched outlets but the same issues occur which leads me to agree with Logitech that it lies squarly with the soundcard.

4. As I said, all jacks are secure and I checked the wiring which is solid; no loose connections.

5. I even uninstalled the software, reset the card, reinstalled the software/driver and... I get the same thing.

I know many people who have this card and they love the quality using it for gaming, music, music recording, and home theater use. So I know it is a good card.

Anyone have these issues with their sound card? Any ideas how to correct these issues? Thanks in advance.

Re:

Hello,

Try decreasing the hardware acceleration for your soundcard...

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Volume Tab and click Advanced in Speaker Settings section > Performance Tab > Decrease the Hardware Acceleration a notch at a time...then restart the PC...

...if you still encounter problems, lower it another notch again and again till you get to None.

Alvin C., thanks for your reply, it is very much appreciated. I did as you recommendded step by step including restarting every time, but there has been nothing has changed.

Someone suggested muting the Line-out and the Headphones but that didn't help either.

Any other ideas/suggestions? Thanks again.

Go into the volume control panel and MUTE CD audio.

Not sure why, but most of the time this section makes noise whenever the CD drive does anything, a button is pressed on the keyboard, mouse clicks/scrolling, etc. It basically gets intereference from every signal it gets from an input device. Try muting CD Audio (you dont use it anyway) and see if that helps. It is a very common problem with soundcards and CD drives. Why? I'm not sure; maybe something to do with IRQ conflicts.

Decreasing hardware acceleration won't help as that just limits the performance of the sound card (Which you don't want - you want the best sound possible).

EDIT: Also, ONLY use original drivers. IF those work, then you can try updating. If your card came with a CD, use that to install the drivers and DO NOT let windows update them through the internet.

Crysalis said:
Go into the volume control panel and MUTE CD audio.

Not sure why, but most of the time this section makes noise whenever the CD drive does anything, a button is pressed on the keyboard, mouse clicks/scrolling, etc. It basically gets intereference from every signal it gets from an input device. Try muting CD Audio (you dont use it anyway) and see if that helps. It is a very common problem with soundcards and CD drives. Why? I'm not sure; maybe something to do with IRQ conflicts.

Decreasing hardware acceleration won't help as that just limits the performance of the sound card (Which you don't want - you want the best sound possible).

EDIT: Also, ONLY use original drivers. IF those work, then you can try updating. If your card came with a CD, use that to install the drivers and DO NOT let windows update them through the internet.

THAT WAS IT! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! The speakers are sounding oh so fine! Oh, and yes I only use the sounding card drivers. I learned something valuable today.

ha... glad to help! I really wish i was a mod so I could make a sticky of stuff like this and also troubleshooting tips for people who can't get a microphone to work.

I think a sticky would be a tremendous idea. I went over to Logitech and printed out their responses to why one would have the issues I mentioned and no where is it even hinted at that it may very well be the CD/Aux or CD/Audio needing to be muted.

Again, much thanks, Crysalis and don't be surprised if I need help later for microphone help. By the way, can you recommend any microphones and software for recording and then burning to a CD/DVD? I am looking for a set-up where I can do clear and precise audio recordings while sitting at my PC.

Is this even possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom