Please help! Can't open C/D drives in My Computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ickwong

Beta member
Hi, recently I've got a problem with my pc which I don't know what to do to solve it. Since I have only got very limited knowledge of computers and therefore I decide to post a thread here and hope anyone could give me some help.

The problem is basically this, when I try to open C/D drive or my external USB harddisk in "My Computer", I couldn't go into them and instead a window pops up and ask me which program I want to use to open it. I then try to open them from the "Address" bar and it works.

So can anyone please tell me what the problem is? My friend thinks I've caught a virus, is that true? If true, how do I get rid of it and solve the problem? I've tried scanning my pc for virus with both AVG and Norton Anti-Virus however couldn't detect any, and I also got AVG Anti-Rootkit and Ad-aware which I have tried them as well but the problem is still here. So please can anyone give me some help???

Thanks very very much!

First things first, what is the cd/dvd thats int the drive. It sounds like you are trying to open a drive that has something with an autorun.exe and your computer doesnt know what program to use to open it with. If its a video or music, just tell it to open it using mediaplayer. Basically the computer doesnt have a program associated with whatever filetype its trying to open.

Sorry if I didn't explain the situation clear enough. My hardisk has got 3 partitions (C/D/E, with Window XP Prof running in C-drive), and I've also got 2 DVD-ROM (F/G).

The problem is when I double click on either C/D/E from "My Computer", it asks me which program I want to open it with, ie. I can't go into C/D/E from "My Computer". But if I access the drives through the "Address" bar, it works fine, plus the "autorun" function of my two DVD-ROMs is also working fine without any problem.

Hope this can make the situation more clearly to you guys. Thanks!

Wow thats an odd problem. Personally, i think it will probably take less time to just reinstall clean than try to fix it. But thats just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom