Peer to peer and ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdy3_uk

Solid State Member
I have succesfully wirelesly networked my laptop and desktop ad hoc/Peer to peernetwork using to network adapter cards, both are reading each other and have excellent signal strength. I have enabled Internet connection sharing on my desktop have succesfully linked my desktop and laptop together using a peer to peer/ Ad-hoc but I cannot access internet on my laptop still.

Am I missing something. Could someone give me a step by step of how tt set thi up please. What I need to do on each computer. Both are runnning Win XP Home.

Its just the internet connection Im having trouble with. Also any help on file sharing would be much appreciated cuz I can't work that out either.

Thanks Tom

ok first of all did u assign ip address ? if yes. thats the problem with the intetnet connection. ull need to leave the pc that dont have the intenrt connection with "assign ip auto".

OK thanks. How do I do that then. lol. My netword adapters came with a program for setting them up and I have done it as per the instructions on both my machines.persume I need to do it in that program somewhere? On one screen I get the choice of... IP Setting Enable or Disable. If I choose disable it takes me to the end and If I choose enable it takes me to another screen where it asks for DHCP Status....Disable or Enable If I choose disable it then asks me to put in the IP Address and The Subnest Mask and some others which I entered...The instructions told me what IP and stuff to put I think.

Hope this helps, Im really stuck now. Could you tell me what I might need to do on each computer. Thanks. Tom

if your installing the client on an os other than xp, click the link and look in the left pane for your os.

from http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-clientxp.asp

Configure a Windows XP computer to be an ICS client
Now that you have ICS running, it is time to configure your other computers on your home network.

Click the start menu and right click on the ‘My Network Places’ icon to bring up your Network connections folder. Right click on your ‘Local Area Network’ connection and select ‘Properties’. Using the install button, install any compoenents from the list that are missing from your computer: (note, NetBEUI is not show in the picture)
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
NetBEUI
Optionally, the QoS Packet Scheduler

If you have other protocols installed like IPX you may remove them – they are not needed.

Select TCP/IP and click the properties. On this screen, you should select ‘Obtain an IP Address Automatically’ and ‘Obtain DNS server address automatically’. Click OK and the computer ‘may’ ask you to reboot.

Configuring Internet Explorer (5.x)
Open Internet Explorer and select ‘Internet Options…’ from the ‘Tools’ menu bar. Next, select the connections tab. If you can, select ‘never dial a connection’. Next, click the LAN Settings tab and clear all check boxes here. Your new configuration does not require a proxy server.

Finished!

OK Ive tried that, But i cantfind where to change the tcp/ip settings to auto. Do I need to change something in the software that came with the adapters.(See my previous post for the options I get). Or could I not install the software and set it up through windows or will that not work?

Thanks for your time Tom.

"My netword adapters came with a program for setting them...it asks for DHCP Status....Disable or Enable If I choose disable" dont chose disable choose enable that should make it work but do that on the clients not the server ( main pc )

Birdy3_uk said:
OK Ive tried that, But i cantfind where to change the tcp/ip settings to auto.

right click on the ‘My Network Places’ icon to bring up your Network connections folder. Right click on your ‘Local Area Network’ connection and select ‘Properties’. select tcpip and click properties.

Its still not working after all that. Cheers for the help though. Ive disconnected and uninstalled all the equipment and Im going to try again later on. Any more ideas would be great.

When I try setting it up via windows instead of the software that came with the adapters I get an error saying about Wireless Zero Configuration in SP2. I presumed this is ebacuse Im meant to be using the software that came with them but I duno. Is that important?

Tom

Also when i enable ICS, Using Win XP, It gives me the choice of what I want to share it with, Do I chose my wireless network adapter there? Thanks Tom

Just a bit more info for anyone who can help me. Ive just used that ping command (I never knew you could do that) and i can ping my laptop from my pc but when I ping my pc from my laptop I get a timed out message. Presumably the network isnt set u right then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom