PC Linux OS and windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha, thx.. well has anyone ever used PC Linux? the site 'claims' "I can't believe it's not windows!"

and uhm.. thought you guy's knew me by now.. I'm a freak .. I have 4 machines that I install every beta you can imagine.. I'm a bit of a power user, each partition on each drive, I have 75GB for OS installs.

I run 4 OS's on 2 machines and 2 on the other 2.. I'm just sickness.. no need for VM software.. I like the real deal from start to finish just never went the way of Linux..

I think the longest I have kept 1 install is 6 months.. lol.. but I test beta stuff always.. (it's free fun)

I also design images for wallpaper and custom build stuff.

So if somone that has actually used Both Ubuntu and PC Linux could tell me which one is more compatable with the mighty Win and the apps that we all use daily.. games.. pic editing programs.. etc..

oh.. big reason I never used/ tried linux.. all my drives are NTFS .. and I was told long ago that Linux can read but not write to them.. so I would be limited to the 1 partition that was formatted for the OS.

thx

I used PCLinux about a year ago, didn't like it much if I remember, because I had used Ubuntu, and liked it a lot better. That's about all I remember about it to tell you the truth. I do know that Ubuntu and Windows can play together well but make sure that on any given machine that Windows is installed first, before any Linux distro. It is a recommendation I have heeded from others from things I've read. As for compatibility, they are ok, but as someone mentioned above, make sure you leave enough room for your Linux distro for it to run properly. The GRUB loader works good usually, IMO.

The latest versions that I have used are ubuntu 8.10 and PCLOS 2007. From what I remember both are quite good, neither stands out in particular (though I think PCLOS is slightly better) and neither is much like windows really.

I have used three Ubuntu versions - 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04, so I have more experience with it so I might be biased to it. And as kmote said, it isn't Windows, and nor should it be, as they are very different. But Ubuntu does a good job with making things "friendly" for Windows regulars first getting into Linux.

-ahh so pc linux is older than UB40 ;) didn't know.. thought it was new.. yes I imagine it would be it's own animal.. 75 GB on it's own partition not enough? lol and have they changed the system to be able to write to NTFS?

-ahh so pc linux is older than UB40 ;) didn't know.. thought it was new.. yes I imagine it would be it's own animal.. 75 GB on it's own partition not enough? lol and have they changed the system to be able to write to NTFS?

Lol, yes, 75 GB should have enough room. According to this site, you can use NTFS-3G to read and write to NTFS.

Lol, yes, 75 GB should have enough room. According to this site, you can use NTFS-3G to read and write to NTFS.

NTFS-3G is already incorporated into newer versions of Ubuntu, so no additional installations of anything will be required with Ubuntu to read/write to Windows partitions besides simply mounting the media under "Places - XP Drive" by single clicking it.

Other versions I'm not sure about, however it is easily installable.

You are not a freak. That is only 8 OS's. I have done that before. I have gone as far as almost 20. That is being freaky. Plus you havent installed ever Beta imaginable. Have you gone as far back as Win 95? How about Windows 1.0? I know i have. :p

So yeah VM can be very useful. That was back when i loved to collect and see the progress. I had my BIOS date set to sometime in 1984 and had to switch it depending on which OS i wanted to use. Such fun times.

I used PCLinuxOS. It is good. But the thing is it is hard to learn and use coming from Windows. It doesnt use a very common package manager for installs and trying to get everything working on it can be difficult. Even Dual Monitors was tough to get working properly on it. If this is your very first attempt to Linux, go Ubuntu. Even Kubuntu. Something that has a very wide useage.

Although I personally do not like KDE, I will agree KDE is a better window manager to get adjusted to than Gnome if you're coming from a heavy Windows background.

KDE = Kubuntu
Gnome = Ubuntu

NTFS-3G is already incorporated into newer versions of Ubuntu, so no additional installations of anything will be required with Ubuntu to read/write to Windows partitions besides simply mounting the media under "Places - XP Drive" by single clicking it.

Other versions I'm not sure about, however it is easily installable.

Yes, Jayce, I already knew that, just thought I would mention it as Hampton's question pertained to being able to write to NTFS, in case he didn't know that already. ;)

And Mak is 100% correct in my opinion, go with Ubuntu before going further with Linux. I have ventured out with other distros after using Ubuntu, and I can see the wisdom Mak expresses here because I learned this as well -- that going from Windows to Linux, you will have an easier time of it with Ubuntu.

@ Hampton

Many Linux users later on go to other distros after starting with Ubuntu, while others stay. And some haven't even tried it. But from my experience (and obviously Mak's as well), go Ubuntu at first. Only a suggestion though, mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom