Partitioning Help - Problems setting the sizes up correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2IT

Baseband Member
I recently built a new computer and I'm having issues partitioning the drives the way I'd like. I have 2 Western Digital Black 500GB drives setup in RAID 0, that part I got working just fine so the PC sees it as one 930GB (give or take a few) drive.

I want to setup 3 partitions; 2 small partitions (60-80GB each) for Windows 7 and Ubuntu, and one large partition as my primary data partition. I was able to successfully setup these partitions, however I could not get the Windows 7 partition, (primary) down below about 400GB by partitioning through Windows 7, (after install).

What am I doing wrong that is preventing me from creating a smaller partition? What is the easiest way to set up the partitions? I tried twice, once before installing Windows which did give me a small partition....but that was the only partition Windows could see -- It only showed the 60GB partition I created for Windows but not the other 2 that it should have seen as separate drives, correct?

The 2nd try I set up the partitions after installing Windows, but this is where it wouldn't let me choose a smaller size than around 400GB, (roughly the half the size of the total RAID array, or one WD physical drive).

I've already installed windows but if I have to reinstall that's no biggie since it's new.

I'm thinking I need to set it up again before installing Windows, but why would it only show one partition, (the small one), and not the rest of the drive? Any advice would be greatly welcomed!

I tried to do it before the install, but after installing Windows it would only recognize the 1 60GB partition and didn't see anything else. Any idea why it would do that and how to avoid it? It's Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate on an Asus P8P67 Deluxe board.

Maybe you left the rest as unformatted space?

This would be it. I bet if you went into Disk Management you will see that the drives are either considered RAW or unformatted.

Right click on Computer>Manage>Disk Management on the left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom