Partition Issues- In preparation for Windows 10 from 8.1

ShaunTheSheep

Solid State Member
Hi all, I'm having an issue which is stumping me. I'm not a wizard at computing, but I'm not an amatuer either so appologies for any issues that may arise!
I currently Have Windows 8.1 Pro (Upgrade from Win 7) installed.
In preparation for Windows 10 I was having a clear out before deciding a complete format would probably be best to get rid of the years of rubbish accumulated (From Vista days).
My problem is this, at some point since owning Vista on the computer an additional partition was created which I never use as it's nearly always full and has nothing of use on it. Unfortunately this is where I get confused as both partitions seem to do different jobs (System, page file etc)
Is there any way to clean it up so everything is on one nice partition for Windows 10?
I'm unable to delete or merge in Disk management I think due to them having the different functions spread over the two?
I seem to recall it's ended up like this when I upgraded from 7 to 8 so I could dual boot (Back in the days when Win 8 was an unknown entity)
For reference I had the full version of Vista, then upgrade versions of 7 and 8.
Many thanks in advance,
Shaun

fBB1C4B.png

Last edited:
First and foremost, make a complete system image in case you screw it up! The last thing you want is to be stuck with a giant paperweight on your desk. :)

So, it sounds like you want to keep the Windows 8 partition, right? So you'll need to move any data that you want to keep from the Windows 7 partition into the Windows 8 partition (such as music, movies, photos, etc).

Once you've done that, here is a good article with the steps that you need. Let us know if you run into any issues!

https://askleo.com/can_i_make_my_c_partition_bigger_by_taking_space_from_d/

First and foremost, make a complete system image in case you screw it up! The last thing you want is to be stuck with a giant paperweight on your desk. :)

So, it sounds like you want to keep the Windows 8 partition, right? So you'll need to move any data that you want to keep from the Windows 7 partition into the Windows 8 partition (such as music, movies, photos, etc).

Once you've done that, here is a good article with the steps that you need. Let us know if you run into any issues!

https://askleo.com/can_i_make_my_c_partition_bigger_by_taking_space_from_d/

Hey, thanks for replying!
There's nothing on the Windows 7 partition that I want to keep so that's helpful.
Referring to that website's instructions, the only problem is when trying to delete or extend my drives is that it won't give me those options in Disk management. Possibly because the 'system' portion is located on the drive I'm trying to delete?
Someone elsewhere suggested doing the Windows 10 online upgrade to get it activated, then installing a clean install of it, deleting and merging the partitions in the bootable install process? Would that work?
Thanks in advance.

IMO, use GParted - way better than Disk Management and it's a LiveCD so you won't be restricted by any windows restrictions.

Burn the ISO to disc or make a bootable USB, and then boot off of it. If you don't have any data you want to save on the Win7 partition, then just delete the Win7 partition, extend your Win8 partition, and click Apply and let it do it's magic. It's even a nice GUI to extend the partition (just click and drag the slider that comes up).

Tnen you could do your in-place upgrade without losing any files/programs.

Thanks for the reply, again I just want to make sure, as in the screenshot I posted it states that 'system' is stored on the Windows 7 partition, whilst 'Boot' is stored on Windows 8 partition.
If I delete the Windows 7 partition and extend the Windows 8 one, will this mess anything up as it's deleted that 'system' setting?
I think this has something to do with when I installed Windows 8, I created a new partition, but as it was an upgrade version it built upon the Windows 7 install on the Windows 7 partition. Phew, confusing.

Would this work.....
Wait for the Win10 online Upgrade to hit, install it to get it activated. Run a clean install from my bootable USB and at this point delete both partitions and then install Windows 10 from scratch, which would hopefully, theoretically install a new boot, system etc?
Again, thanks.

Not sure why win7 was installed on system partition, but system should normally be a partition on its own, and boot sits as the OS.

Easiest thing to do is, create an image of your HDD and then back up all your data you want e.g. pics, files, software installers then reformat the whole drive and start from scratch.

OR

Remove only the windows data from the system partition D: - KEEP "boot", "recovery" & "system volume information" folder AND bootmgr file. Then shrink D: to say 300-500mb.

Then add the rest of the disk space to C: and upgrade to win10.

I would do the latter as its more fun lol :cool:

Not sure why win7 was installed on system partition, but system should normally be a partition on its own, and boot sits as the OS.

Easiest thing to do is, create an image of your HDD and then back up all your data you want e.g. pics, files, software installers then reformat the whole drive and start from scratch.

OR

Remove only the windows data from the system partition D: - KEEP "boot", "recovery" & "system volume information" folder AND bootmgr file. Then shrink D: to say 300-500mb.

Then add the rest of the disk space to C: and upgrade to win10.

I would do the latter as its more fun lol :cool:

The latter you don't need to do manually - you can recreate the boot/system info with the Windows install disc.

Would this work.....
Wait for the Win10 online Upgrade to hit, install it to get it activated. Run a clean install from my bootable USB and at this point delete both partitions and then install Windows 10 from scratch, which would hopefully, theoretically install a new boot, system etc?
Again, thanks.

Win10 is already out... you can get an ISO now or run the upgrade from your PC

Back
Top Bottom