pagefile on a ram disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

White_Wolf

Baseband Member
Can a windows pagefile be placed onto a Ram Disk?

And when I say "Ram Disk" I am referring to a program that turns a portion of your RAM into a virtual HDD; not one of those RAM cards you plug into your computer like a solid state drive.

I plan on building a system soon, and I wanna stock up on RAM, but what's the use if WinXP is just going to disregard my RAM and go about writing to a pagefile?
I've heard that it doesn't matter even if you had a billion gigs of RAM, WinXP still wants a pagefile, and still uses that pagefile even if you're RAM is no where near maxed out.

So I was thinking, wouldn't assigning a pagefile to Ram Disk increase my system's performance by reducing how much it has to access my HDD?

Also, I've heard that WinXP 32-bit can only recognize 4GB of RAM.

So I was thinking, could I have like 8 gigs of RAM and assign 4 gigs to Ram Disk?

No having a 8GB system will do nothing for you. Not on 32 Bit. Cause first off 32 Bit can only see 3.25GB of RAM. The rest is set aside for hardware IRQ's and that. That is also not including your Video Card RAM which also gets added into it.

Also moving the Pagefile will gain you some performance but not enough to make it that big of a deal to go out and get 4GB more of RAM and try to use it as a RAM Drive.

SpeedGuide.net :: Ramdisk Guide

That will be your best answer right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom