Overclocking Athlon 64 3000+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
I am having a slight problem overclocking and was wondering if anybody could help me. My motherboard is a NVIDIA nForce 3 K8N Neo2 motherboard. I have an Athlon 64 3000+ socket 939 processor and should be able to overclock it well over what my computer is letting me. My settings so far I believe are as follows:

High Performance Mode = Manual

Aggressive Timing = Disabled

Dynamic Overclock = Disabled

Spread Sprectrum = Disabled

HT Frequency = 5x

Cool'N'Quit = Disabled

Adjust CPU Ratio = Startup (x9)

Adjust CPU FSB = 209

Adjust AGP Frequency = 66

CPU Volt = +3.3%

Mem Volt = Auto

AGP Volt = 1.5

My problem occurs when I try to make the CPU FSP 210. It was originally 200 and I can go to 209 without any problems...but once I select 210 or higher, when I restart I get a screen that says it is now going into safe mode and it asks me to please reset my overclocking features in the bios by pressing del. I've tried to figure out what is wrong...and I should be able to achieve about 290. Why will my computer not let me go above 209???

You're overclocking your RAM when you go above 200 unless you don't have your ratio set to 1:1 it'd have to be at like 5:4 - CPU:DRAM to get 200 or so I don't even know the ratio when trying to get 210.

Point is, if you don't have your RAM set at 200FSB then it's being raised as well as the CPU and to get the RAM stable it requires finding a little looser timings and upping the DRAM voltage.

Thanks a lot guys! I changed the "HT Frequency" to 4x and changed the max mem speed for the DRAM to 166. Now when I add to the "Adjust CPU FSB" it takes that number that I added to 200 and adds the percentage increase to 166 for the RAM instead. I have now overclocked it all the way up to 245 which brings my overall MHz to 2205 (1800 to start) and the RAM is still at around 200 (166 + 22.5%). This works great. Thanks a lot!

Now I have another problem. The current setting are as follows:

High Performance Mode = Manual

Aggressive Timing = Disabled

Dynamic Overclock = Disabled

Spread Sprectrum = Disabled

HT Frequency = 4x

Cool'N'Quit = Disabled

Adjust CPU Ratio = Startup (x9)

Adjust CPU FSB = 245

Adjust AGP Frequency = 66

CPU Volt = +5.0%

Mem Volt = Auto

AGP Volt = 1.5

My problem starts when I try to get the CPU FSB above 250. Everything seems to start normally, but then windows locks up and I have to manually restart every time. I would increase the memory voltage, but the book has a warning that this may harm the system if I plan on doing this for a long time. What should I do to get it to clock above 250?

Sounds like you need to up the vcore... Have you been doing this? It will help with instability which your computer seems to be experiencing.

I have been upping the CPU voltage. If I up it anymore it says the system may be unstable. Does this apply to my system, or is it just a warning saying that I better have a good cooling device?

Also, should I increase the voltage of anything else too? I'd increase the voltage to the memory but once again, the book says that prolonged use of this is NOT a good idea.

Also, can anyone tell me what the max temperature for an Athlon 64 3000+ socket 939 is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom