Our Story

Wow man, that is seriously awesome. What a better way to enrich and empower high school students to learn about real world skills.

I love this idea.

Awesome!! Some people just get it- and this guy gets it. Students should not just become robots..... Thinking out of the box should be encouraged, not discouraged.

It's been a pretty awesome experience. I've always been interested in free and open source software. From a "true core meaning" standpoint, it just makes sense. It was especially nice to couple these side interests with an actual job. I mean, it's one thing to say you can deploy some Ubuntu systems to users and have them work with it just fine. It's another to see it happen and watch it take place.

I've now worked in a full Windows environment, a full Mac environment (current district used to be all Mac when I started), and now we're largely (80%+) an Ubuntu district. It's a good gig. ;)

I am curious though Jayce - what does your school do to cross train students in things like MS Word and Excel?

I think the program is great - it really helps those students who have an IT drive and want to learn / know more about the inner workings of computers and the OS that lays on top of the hardware.

I guess my only concern would be you may end up with a Senior graduating high school who doesn't have the fundamental knowledge of MS Word. And while i completely agree with you - open source is the future and it's easier on the pocket book - you cannot deny that MS products are what's out in the 'real world.' So my only concern with a program like yours would be students graduating with no working knowledge of MS word, powerpoint or Excel. These are skills that 99% of employers are going to want to see with an entry level job. This just isn't in IT, i mean just a day job like a Financial Planner, Banker, Marketing, Manager, etc - all require some skillset in Excel, Word and the like.

Do you guys offer any type of supplemental training for that?

While the presence of Microsoft Office cannot be denied, it by no means is the "end all" office suite that comes with a 'must have, no questions' seal. I'm not sure of your age offhand, but think back to when you were in school. Did you use Microsoft Office? Or did you use something else? Perhaps AppleWorks? Word Perfect? I didn't have Microsoft Office until my later years, and even then it was only in one lab. See where I'm going with this? Software change and development happens at a crazy fast rate. It's inevitable, and we cannot avoid it. Even if you DID use Microsoft Office in school, how different does 2003 look to 2013? Change is inevitable. The only real option is to brace yourself for impact. :p

A monumental problem with education today is not teaching students concepts. If you teach them on a specific platform on how to do 'xyz' task based on this set of explicit steps, you are setting them up for failure. If you teach them from a conceptual point of view, so they can learn and understand the workflow of how you go from one task to another, you're teaching them a broader, more 'generic-ized' skill. When you understand what the software is doing for the given command you just gave, it becomes easier to piece together what the next step is, and execute accordingly. If you're just drilled on step 1, edit. Step 2, preferences, etc., then all you're doing is drilling specific steps into students in a robot-like manner. Reaction takes place without thinking about it. Being able to understand what is happening to thereby move on to the next step cleanly is a skill that truly does matter in the 'real world', since there are absolutely no guarantees in life that you'll end up on the exact same make/model/version software from what you were trained on.

This isn't exclusive to office suites. This happens to any and all devices and software. How do you *know* that your CADD classes will land you a job that specifically uses CADD software? Maybe you'll use something else. How do you know as a graphic designer you'll end up with Photoshop? I just read an article last week that suggested Gimp is being considered more and more as a way to curb costs. What about web design? What platform did you use then? What platform is popular now? When I took web design classes, CSS still didn't have much footing. Now, straight web coding is heavily dependent upon CSS.

We're not the only district facing this. A multitude of districts out in the world have jumped on board with Google Docs. Some districts even have done a 1 to 1 with Chromebooks. (Slightly off topic with personal opinion inbound...) I often question the point behind going with Chromebooks because Chromebooks actually require a management license with larger organizations (and believe me, you want that), simlar to the cost of a Windows license included on a computer. The cost of our Ubuntu systems was wildly similar to the final cost of Chromebooks, yet we get an actual full desktop environment where we can run a number of applications on it. With Chromebooks, there's the apps in the app store and everything web based. Sure, a lot of things are web based, but a lot of what we like to utilize is not, and therefore, the restrictive use feeling comes into play. (This is just my 2c though, as I still really like Chromebooks overall). And of course, we all know there's no Microsoft Office on Chromebooks, so what about the districts doing a 1 to 1 with Chromebooks? They could be asked the same question. Even the districts who are Windows based that I know about, they're almost all using Google Docs with MS Office on the back burner. Does it make sense to pay that kind of money for software that isn't going to be a front runner for your organization? Given that I value and respect districts who spend my tax payer dollars responsibly, I'd say no. It's one thing if you use that software and get your money's worth out of it, but far too often it's purchased and still Google Docs is the primary go-to.

That's why we, very proudly, use Libre Office and Google Docs. The fundamentals between Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and Libre Office are largely similar, but of course each has their own unique twist to some degree. They can all cut, copy, paste, select all, handle columns, bullet/number lists, formatting, and all sorts of other things that 99% of school districts out there (and the vast majority of real world users, I'd argue) truly 'need'. Likewise, Google Docs is accessible from home pending the students have an internet connection. If not, or if they simply prefer otherwise, they can utilize the already-installed Libre Office on their laptops already. I mean, how is that 'not' a solid win-win?

I recall being in a presentation about a year or two ago where my boss was giving an overview of basically what would amount to this 1 to 1 project as highlighted in the video above. A woman in the crowd asked him that same question, and he countered it with a question. "Did you use Microsoft Office in school?" "No." Nothing more needed to be said. ;)

That all on the table, there's no denying that Microsoft Office is actually really nice. At the same token, there's no denying that the 'glory days' of school districts wild dependence on Microsoft Office in particular has largely dissipated. This doesn't mean you won't see Microsoft Office in schools, it's still quite the opposite, but I guarantee if you interview the districts in your area, 'something else' will also be mentioned in their software suite arsenal.

Last edited:
Completely agree with you, and a lot of the Open Office alternatives have the same 'feel' as office. I was just simply making the case for the need to have some training with office products.

You are right though, I didn't use office in school (i'm in my 30's), probably the most beneficial computer class i took was typing. All be it boring, it's probably the only skill that i learned in high school that translated to real world skills (sad i know). A lot of the 'office' skills I learned was in College and on the job.

Just curious if there was any concern regarding training. Sounds like more and more places are going this route though.

There really wasn't any concern with training, but this also wasn't our first rodeo. In 2011 we pushed 600 Linux laptops out. In 2012, we pushed another 1,000 out. These laptops were meant to replace an aging fleet of student Macbook systems. We've had a few random labs spawn that are Linux based as well along the way, so there's definitely a few batches of 30 beyond the 600/1000 I listed just now. Then this past January we did the 1 to 1 in the high school, amounting to 1,700 systems alone in that deployment.

Overall, all said and done, we're probably right around 4,000 Ubuntu oriented devices on the network. Most of the earlier systems are running XFCE, while the 1 to 1 systems are running the default Unity. Both environments have panned out very well for us, but Unity is admittedly a little nicer for the high school group, whereas our customized XFCE environment has been pretty nice for the younger crowd. We may revisit this in time, though.

There wasn't that much training involved initially (certainly less than what was expected, anyways) but any time you introduce a new piece of software, training is key. If we upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8, we hold some sort of informational training session. If we upgrade from A to B, or Y to Z, training is involved. So it was one of those things... if training is involved *regardless*... why not spin it a different way?

Training is often what non-Linux advocates use as ammunition, citing that the time and resources needed to do this would far outweigh the costs of just sticking with Windows. That's a pretty loaded statement to make given that new versions of Windows and new versions of Office often dictate the need for training regardless. Now, assuming all of your technicians have blinders on and haven't touched anything BUT Windows since day one, then yeah, maybe switching to Linux will be an uphill battle. But we had a few techs internally who used Linux and preferred it, so it made the tech-team transition quick and easy, and therefore, everything else followed suit rather nicely.

All in all, it's a good gig. We're proof it works.

I disagree with the training statement - it's not loaded. I can load office 2013 and if someone is used to anything after office 2003 they would be able to navigate without much issue. I know Open Office uses the same scheme and a similar feel.

Regardless man, i was just curious if you guys were doing something to circumvent concerns with training. Sounds like you guys got it wrapped up though. I seriously love the drive and desire.

I disagree with the training statement - it's not loaded. I can load office 2013 and if someone is used to anything after office 2003 they would be able to navigate without much issue. I know Open Office uses the same scheme and a similar feel.

Regardless man, i was just curious if you guys were doing something to circumvent concerns with training. Sounds like you guys got it wrapped up though. I seriously love the drive and desire.

You'll have some cases where that's true. In fact I've seen that happen first hand myself. What I've also seen first hand are some users going only one version bump, say 2007 to 2010, or 2010 to 2013, and still had a multitude of questions in regard to doing abc and xyz tasks. It's impossible to span an opinion of either side across the board, but having had to train users on even minor version bumps of MS Office over the years, my opinion stands accordingly. :p

Back
Top Bottom