OS Product Key Deactivation For New Custom Built Computer?

Struzinski

Baseband Member
So I have my Asus laptop I bought from Best Buy a few years ago with Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm currently building a custom computer and want my OS to run off of the SSD I'm installing on it. I do not have a hard copy of Windows from Microsoft; all I have is the activated OS that came stock in the Asus' HDD. I'm looking to put the OS on this HDD onto the SSD in my custom build (because it does not have a legitimate copy of Windows on it).

I know that recovery disks would be useless since they will not work on a computer that isn't Asus. I was originally going to try to clone the HDD to an .iso and installing that onto the new SSD but figured that wouldn't work either.

I know that product key on the bottom of the laptop is being used on the laptop's OS now. Isn't there a way to deactivate it from this laptop, download an .iso of Win7 HP, install it to the SSD on the custom build, and then use the product key from this laptop on the new custom build? I'm just not sure if Microsoft won't allow it due to hardware changes, the fact that Microsoft only made that product key for this specific computer, or the fact that the product key could only be used once. Is it possible? And would it be the easiest option?

Laptop and desktops (OEM or not) have different MS keys, so it won't activate on your custom build.

Edit: They used to allow a shared key between one laptop and one desktop with XP, but that has since gone the way of the Dodo.

Laptop and desktops (OEM or not) have different MS keys, so it won't activate on your custom build.

Edit: They used to allow a shared key between one laptop and one desktop with XP, but that has since gone the way of the Dodo.

That doesn't make much sense though. There's no difference between Home Premium on a laptop than there is on a desktop.

Erm, what? Sorry but pretty sure that's not true...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope I'm wrong then, but I have on two occasions been told by MS that the key I was trying to use was from a laptop (and vice versa) once with XP, and once with Windows 7 home premium. Both were trying to go from a laptop to desktop using the same OS (not XP to 7)

... and it wasn't an illegal key or anything like that.

So hopefully the OP can get his key working regardless of BS I provided. :p

Hope I'm wrong then, but I have on two occasions been told by MS that the key I was trying to use was from a laptop (and vice versa) once with XP, and once with Windows 7 home premium. Both were trying to go from a laptop to desktop using the same OS (not XP to 7)

... and it wasn't an illegal key or anything like that.

So hopefully the OP can get his key working regardless of BS I provided. :p

I guess honestly I don't think I've tried going from Laptop to desktop (or vice versa) but I don't see why it would make a difference.

Only reason I would see them saying that is because if it's an OEM key, going from one system to another is illegal (against their TOS), so they'd want you to buy a new key.

Pretty sure it's not permitted in the EULA for people to use an OEM key from a prebuilt machine on an entirely different machine...

Pretty sure it's not permitted in the EULA for people to use an OEM key from a prebuilt machine on an entirely different machine...

Said that in my first reply. It's against the EULA, but can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
c0rr0sive is right. Just cause it can be done doesnt mean we should help them break the law. As you state yourself, it is illegal. Which makes it against our rules to tell them how to do it.

OEM is to live and die with the machine it came installed on. That is the terms of use and the License agreement that you agree to with Microsoft to use their software. It can't be installed on a custom build.

Back
Top Bottom