Ordered a new build and M.2 question.

kjlambert

Baseband Member
Hey all,

Been a while since I was here but finally building a new machine. Here's the summary:

Intel i5 6600K
Asus Z170-E
G. Skill 2x8G
Intel 600P 256 GB M.2 SSD
Asus GTX 1070 8G
Toshiba 1TB 7200 HDD
Corsair CX 650M Bronze 80+
Acer GN246HL 144mHz 24" Monitor

List:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/83L2jc

I've bought it but feel free to flame the choices :)

Question is, on the Asus website for the Mobo it says:

"M.2 shares SATA mode with SATA Express. Change this item before installing M.2 SATA devices."

In the user guide it looks like you can change it from M.2 mode to SATA express mode and depending on the choice only one PCIe devices. I'm a noob at the M.2 stuff and hoping someone can help me out or shoot me a link with the Crayola version of M.2 stuff.

Cheers all.

It shares PCI-E lanes with the SATA Express port meaning you can only use one or the other.

In the bios under advanced it needs to be changed from SATA Express to M.2.

Makes sense. I think some of the terminology was starting to mess me up.

I'll change that on my first boot.

Any other advice or does the build seem ok? I can still return/change some stuff if it's out of whack, but I thought it seemed ok for a mid-level setup.

Cheers.

That's fair. I skipped on some research and chose the Intel based more on price and the fact that it should still be an improvement over my old OCZ SSD from 6 or 7 years ago. I wasn't really sure of another budget brand and some online reports seem to conflict. Any recommendations for other M.2? I could exchange.

Cheers

I mean, it's NVMe and faster than most PCI-E SSDs I just think they skimped hard on the specs for it. I'm not talking sequential speeds either, those honestly don't matter right now. The IOPS are just slow to me. Like, the IOPS and speeds are the same as my 2 year old PCI-E 2.0 4x HyperX Predator. That's why I look at it and go....meh. It is TLC though so not bad there, and really the only other good option IMO is the 960 EVO but that's still pricey since it's new.

I think I'll just stick with it for now then. I already talked myself to the 1070 so should probably try to cool the $ spending.

Appreciate the advice, thanks.

Yea the 1070 and 6600k combo is killer. You'll be happy. Just be aware, I preach eVGA for a reason. You can't properly clean an Asus card without busting warranty.

Yea the 1070 and 6600k combo is killer. You'll be happy. Just be aware, I preach eVGA for a reason. You can't properly clean an Asus card without busting warranty.

And good luck getting decent customer support from Asus, as well.

Back
Top Bottom