Operation Flashpoint Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got it wednesday 2 days before release.

It's really good in my opinion, more realistic than BF2 (bullet drop, higher damage etc) and the open world gameplay is really good.

The vehicles are decent to drive, i've flied the chopper for a few minutes in the mission editor and it's pretty good, but i would say you need a controller to fly them. It's not impossible without, but i definitely fly better when im using my controller.

Like nearly all such open world games there are a few bugs occasionally, but so far nothing too major.

The online is garbage though, everyone has terribley high pings (500+) but supposedly the dedicated servers arn't launched yet and Codemasters (the devs) are just getting that all sorted out, so give it a few weeks and it may be better.

I have yet to try Co-Op, but people say it works quite well.

I haven't played it, but one of my clanmates posted that it is only a four-person per side multiplayer, and no one can join a game already in progress.

I plan on waiting. Of course, being broke is also a factor in that decision. ;) But I want to see how it goes first.

8 human players, each human players has 3ai team mates to control.

Yeh, the game needs a few patches - but so do nearly all games upon launch. Especially such large and ambitious ones like this.

The single player missions are good. You get dropped in to your starting point, you are then gave 1 objective at a time and it's position on the map, you can get there anyway you want and usually however you want. There are usually PLA (the enemy) checkpoints along the way, and patrols you need to watch out for. You can go stealthy and sneak past them all, or shoot every enemy you see. The AI are generally very good, they don't have super vision like ArmA2 and FarCry 2 (if it's dark, they won't see you till you're within 100meters or less if you have good cover) and if you use a silenced weapon and manage to kill one in a single hit, it doesn't necessarily mean the AI know where you are. usually they sound the alarm and go on a hunt for you.

The single player experience is really good, from how the weapons react, to the awesome FLIR scopes on some of the guns (hot things are white, so when you shoot someone from a distance away, you see the spray of blood before they hit the ground :D)

The game even calculates the speed of sound and shockwaves, you will see artillery and gun fire before you hear and feel it. The sensation of bullets wizzing by and hitting the ground around you is very very good, some of the best I've seen - it really makes you take cover. Especially as even an arm shot can kill if you don't attend to it.

I was looking forward to this game, but it doesn't seem to be getting very good reviews.

The reviews are fine. They're not spectacular, people don't seem to like the radius menu, and you can tell quite alot of the reviewers are just CoD fanboys.

Trust me, it's a great game if your in to that kind of thing.

edit: IGN say this, and i'd have to agree with them (although i'd rate graphics higher) - this game is all about the gameplay.

5.0 Presentation
Don't come looking for bells and whistles, or even any cutscenes introducing a level.
7.0 Graphics
A wide open world that occasionally looks underwhelming.
6.0 Sound
Rarely will the gunfire or explosions pack the punch you'd expect. The voice acting could be a lot better.
8.0 Gameplay
Unique, realistic, and fun. The hardcore will have a ball. Just be prepared for some technical shortcomings.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
The open nature of the quests and co-op play offer great replayability. The multiplayer needs to be cleaned up to really take off.

OFP2 is a disgrace to the OFP name, want a big open map? realism? etc. check out Arma 2 made by the people who developed OFP 1

I didn't even get past the tutorial in Arma 2. I didn't like it at all.

arma2 is far to confusing and difficult, the only fun part is the mission editor. dragon rising perhaps isnt like the traditional hardcore OF. but it is more fun and more accessible as a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom