online server

taysby

Beta member
Right nwo, at my work we have a program that we use all the time on a server onsite that multiple people use at a time, so the data gets shared between all of the computers. (autosoft) I was wondering what would be a good option to have someone else host it and access it using the internet.

Welcome to TF.

That would depend on various things. I know Autosoft provides software to dealerships but you have not specified the software that they provide you.

As this is something that is used all day and every day I would consider this mission critical software and would NEVER outsource or "put in the clouds" or have an outside company manage your mission critical software.

A few things need to be considered when using a hosting company.

1. Does the software require you to be installed on the desktop?
2. Do you use the browser to access the software or is it an .exe
3. How secure is this software?
- Do you use a secure page to access the software?
- Can the software be accessed by an unauthorized person without reaching your internal network?
4. What is your current cost to manage the software including the server it is installed on?
5. What is the cost to have the software located at a remote location and managed cost?
6. Does the cost to upgrade the server and manage the software cost less then question 5?

Reckless, Chances are they have better security than what their company could ever dream of having. If you think about it, Server hosting companies credibility would be gone in an instant if it was ever compromised although it is important to do your research on their reliability.

Also the other thing to think about is your connection speed and where the server is located. It can become a major, major hassle if this is overlooked.

If you are in Canada I can't really recommend a company but I would suggest getting one in the same country.

Hosting companies do not provide as good security as people are led to believe. Unless you manage your own server or they are managing a service like Rackspace would host exchange. It is not secure.

A lot (some would say it actually takes the cake) of security breaches come from inside a corporation from current/former employees and contractors that have permission to access an organization's computer systems and network indirectly or not.

Most spyware/virus etc comes in as the direct result of user behaviour. Sure spyware comes from outside - because someone opened the door and let it in.

There was a survey done by PWC with NFO security with approx 1,402 respondents (businesses) this year.

Large businesses alone - 73% had staff misuse of web access (which of course can mean they are going to websites which, if security isn't tight can cause security breaches), misuse of email access was 81%, 66% had unauthorised access to system or data by staff, 31% of misuse in confidential information from staff, 49% had loss or leakage of confidential information by staff.

Not only that but small and medium/large businesses generally don't have 10000s of clients that purely rely on their system security and up time as their prime business. Also companies that have in-house servers are far more likely to have data leaks from physical access to the server.

36% of the worst security breaches in this year (So far) were caused by inadvertent human error (and a further 10% by deliberate misuse of systems by staff) 57% of small businesses suffered staff- related security breaches in the last year. 17% of small businesses know their staff broke data protection regulations in the last year
12% of the worst security breaches were partly caused by senior management giving insufficient priority to security

only 4% of respondents had a security or data breach in the last year relating to one of their cloud computing services Social networking and mobiles individually caused more of a security problem in the business than cloud (in fact more than double) yet 74% of large businesses where attacked by an outsider and 93% had a security breach.

Along with sever security as per usual on an in-house server and an increase in protection before threats even have a chance to touch the server gives you an added protection. Along with cut back in staff, cut back in security costs yet improved security are among the benefits for business. Yes, I agree hosting companies have more threats to deal with yet they by far have less penetration/breaches and in most cases more aware and educated on security.

Yes there are web hosting companies that are the exception, which won't last long which is why it is important to do your homework before going with a hosting company. To be safe you wouldn't go with a hosting company that has just started out but perhaps one that has been around for a while and has a good reputation.

It doesn't matter where it is it has the possibility of being hacked or having security breaches but I still stand by the fact that Hosting companies (in general) do have better security not to mention the removal of some user error/security breaches by their own IT (particularly small/medium businesses) who have IT people doing a bit of everything but nothing very well. Just because you go cloud/vps/ etc etc doesn't mean you don't add your own security of course.

Last edited:
ANYWAY back on topic he didn't want to know if it was safe or not he wanted to know what would be a good option. This depends on a lot of things, probably not something you want to go with shared hosting with but if you have your own IT mob - VPS or Dedicating servers would be a good option.

He did ask if it was a good thing and I provided him a few things he can examine so he can make an informed decision.

He did ask if it was a good thing and I provided him a few things he can examine so he can make an informed decision.

No he asked what would be a good option to host it ...not should I get it hosted or not but that's neither here nor there, doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom