Official Tech-Forums Post Your "Picture of the Day" Thread! (56k Warning)

oops, double post!

BTW, sexiness:

dsc4251.jpg

so how many micro 4/3rds cameras do you have? i know you got the gf1. is this a ep-1 or ep-2? if so wich do you like better? and im looking forward to nikons release of there evil next year.

Personally i want the GH2 but its so annoying, they still wont do proper good auto bracketing even though the camera is fully capable.

MOTHER****ER

i wrote a ****ing book on here and accidentally hit the back key on my mouse...

i'll rewrite that **** later today...****!!!

on every other forum if i do that, when i hit the forward key, the text is still there, wtf is with that?

mother****er******nit....

^^^ Ouch! Firefox saves mine when I do there here, but not another forum I visit. Weird.

so how many micro 4/3rds cameras do you have? i know you got the gf1. is this a ep-1 or ep-2? if so wich do you like better? and im looking forward to nikons release of there evil next year.

Ok, i wrote a ton on this earlier today, but lost it.. i'll try to remember what i was talking about before. might want to grab a cup of hot coffee.

I used to have the Panasonic GF1, along with the 14-45 and the 20 1.7. I do not have it anymore. I sold it in March for two reasons, i got reamed with taxes, and the camera just wasn't everything i hoped and dreamed, let me explain why.

Pros:
-FAST Autofocus. often the AF was faster than my D700, and right now with the lenses i have, it was alot faster. Nikon's AF-S primes don't focus fast, this thing was insane, especially for CDAF.

-high res screen (for the time), it was so nice to work with

-smart ergonomics, menu system, button placement.

-3:2 ratio screen, i wish every camera had this.

-AVCHD, the 720 video really didn't seem that shabby.

-OIS in the 14-45 was better than my nikon 24-120VR

Cons:

-Not alot of grip. I felt like i was going to drop it every time i used it, it needed the rubber front like the LX3 and now LX5. the GF2 you know will have this.

-The EVF, great idea, bad execution. They wanted to charge $200 for what?

-Noisy. 4/3rds is a noisy format, we all know that, but this camera even at base ISO looked ok at best. ISO 100 on the GF1 looks like ISO 800 on a D700. Forget about doing exposures longer than 60 seconds, and even those were bad (surprisingly)

-Lousy color. I've never seen such awful color from a camera ever. This is what eventually became the clincher. The GF1 ALWAYS had either way too much magenta or way too much green in the photos. And it was so unreliable i'd shoot RAW+JPEG and the Jpeg would have a magenta tone and people would look sick. Ok well i'll open up the raw file..what? why is there so much GREEN? You HAVE to shoot raw with this camera, because the Jpegs are just God awful ugly, skin tones were the absolute worst.

-it cost me $900 for the whole kit. It's a bit much for something that's little more than a point and shoot, and one i couldn't even reliably shoot Jpeg on.

-My girlfriend hated everything about it. She hated the fact that for a toy essentially, i spent $900 that i really didn't have, and that we always had to constantly fiddle with it because the output sucked.

So after using it for a few months, i decided to sell it while supply was still short, demand was high, and the price hadn't dropped yet. I actually ended up making a couple bucks off the whole thing when everything was said and done. Not bad to be honest.

FAST FORWARD 6 MONTHS..

My work has an annual summer contest for the salesmen. Generally sponsored by Nikon, Sony, Olympus, and Sandisk. I wasn't about to try and compete for Sony or Nikon, but Olympus is the underdog, and i GENUINELY like the Olympus E-600/620, and I think m4/3rds is a very progressive format. It seemed like the right direction, i could personally vouch for the product i was selling and didn't feel i was sucker-punching the customers. I became one of the top 25 associates in the nation to sell Olympus overall and won a Pen E-PL1 kit.

I'm not a big fan of the E-PL1's ergonomics, so i sold it on craigslist and with that money, bought an E-P1 +17mm f/2.8 and the viewfinder at a slight loss, despite the E-PL1 being a far superior camera.

first off, while the GF1 and E-P1 seem like similar cameras, they act completely different!

Pros over the GF1

-Better noise performance, ISO 100 is what i'd about expect for 4/3rds, but it's still a little noisy.

-Better grip, the rubber pad is super.

-brighter screen, easier to see in the daylight

-chrome body, c'mon, it's sexy.

-GORGEOUS JPEGS. I've heard oly had good color, but woah! If Olympus made a FF digital camera i'd buy it in a heartbeat just for the color engine. I don't shoot RAW with it, I don't need to. Jpeg output (as far as color goes) is way ahead of my Nikons.

-In body stabilization, so even my Canon 50mm f/1.8 has IS

Cons over the GF1

- The menus and buttons i feel are better on the GF1

- The 17mm f/2.8 is not a very good lens. the only reason i'm keeping it on the camera is because i've found that the 35mm EFL is amazing for casual P&S, it's made me seriously consider the new Nikon 35G. the fact that it's small too helps a ton.

- Lo-res screen. boy is it coarse for 2010 (it was lores for 2009)

- Slow AF, and having no AF assist light doesn't help at all. it's almost useless in the dark.

-IBIS is not as good as Panny's OIS. i'd be lucky if i got two full stops of stabilization out of the system. 90% of the time i can't even tell a difference from the IS being on or off. not very efficient.

- can't use an EVF with it. i'm ok with this, it detracts from the retro feel anyway compared to the optical viewfinder.

Between the two, I feel the E-P1 despite it's drawbacks is the better camera, and i should have gotten it the first time. I think the overall design is better looking (especially with the leather jacket), and the output is far superior. My girlfriend ADORES it. She's going to Japan in a month and is going to take the pen instead of the Nikon. She steals it from me all the time, and i'm ok with that, I'm glad she's equally excited about it.

so yeah, in a nutshell, for micro 4/3rds options, i think Olympus has the better cameras for photographs. Panasonic definitely has better video though. I could care less about video TBH.

take it with a grain of salt, these are just my opinions and observations. I think that when you take out high ISO performance, m4/3rds beats the socks off Samsung NX and Sony NEX. NEX is a good concept, but the execution is just SO terrible. I have a hard time recommending NEX because the interface insults the users intelligence, and there's only 3 lenses for it. And out of those 3 lenses, only 1 of them is any good (18-55), one of them is a total dog (16mm), and the other defeats the whole purpose of the mirrorless concept (18-200). The NEX 18-200 is the same size as the Canon 18-200. Would you sick the Canon 18-200 on a point and shoot sized body? i didn't think so.

I really don't care about the Samsung NX line. I think the cameras are pretty ugly, and some of their decisions pretty unusual. 20-35mm? i guess when it's collapsed it's the same size as the oly 14-42..oh but which one has more range and is just as sharp? The Olympus.

soo yeah... coffee still hot?

I just LOVE how the skies actually go blue!
p8270362.jpg

So I haven't posted anything in a while, been too busy, so I've been going through my older stuff. Sadly this is one of my most recent "shoots" back in July...

5017226710_f93b68c1b0_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS
Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/16.0
Focal Length: 23 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Lens: Canon EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Flash: Vivitar 2800 (some random setting)

EDIT: Side note, I'm loving how flickr is making it so I can't use the full size of my image anymore? Thanks guys!

thanks for the heads up. i wanted a m4/3rds camera but found the gf1 t o expensive and am glad i have herd what you say about it. the olympus ep1 is cheaper anyway but i think il most likely just wait out for the oh so rumored nikon Q so i can just use my nikon lenses on it.

heres my pic of the day.

4qluud.jpg

Camera Nikon D90
Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture f/4.0
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 200

Back
Top Bottom