NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Final Specs & Pricing Revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Final Specs & Pricing Revealed!

I would almost call TriSli infeasible, not for power or expense but for heat. Id have to actually get my hands on a rig with three in it to know though, but if i had to guess, when one GTX480 hits just under 100c, and you add another GTX480 on either side of it with usually 0.2 cm to 1cm of gap between its just not going to be pretty.

Hence you don't really care about money. There is a very significant cost difference to buy and run.
for you maybe. For me, nothing about my current lifestyle would have to change. I would still have enough money to pay the rent, stock the cupboard, go see a movie on weekends, etc.
So for me, it isn't a significant cost at all.

The analogy should be more like: you can buy an ice crean for $4 right outside your house, or you could get one for $5 10 minutes down the road which is very slightly better, but also contains twice the fat.

sigh. You somehow turned my point about money differences into a health problem scenario.
I'm done here.

btw, I just rounded up a few benchmarks on the 480 and 5870 sli/crossfire setups.
On average the performance increase between a GTX 480 and a 480 SLI setup was 66%
On average the performance increase between a 5870 and a 5870 crossfire setup was 57%

Because it's all just speculation by you. Not facts. You're saying IF they have. Who's to know if they can't increase the driver performance any more?
Actually Apok is basing his argument off history, IMO. Nvidia has a history of not getting as much out of their drivers as ATI does. In other words Nvidia is known for getting their drivers "right" the first time whereas ATI takes a little while.
I don't care.
When you live on your own, have you own bills to pay, including electric, and run 2 GTX480's, come back and say that. (assuming you don't now, if you do then ignore this, lol)

The main things I care about are performance:watt and performance:dollar (initial cost), and the 5870 wins in both of those. Not to mention heat... I think zedman makes a good point.

Actually Apok is basing his argument off history, IMO. Nvidia has a history of not getting as much out of their drivers as ATI does. In other words Nvidia is known for getting their drivers "right" the first time whereas ATI takes a little while.
not really. Take a look at the performance increases from the 180 to the 190 driver series.

When you live on your own, have you own bills to pay, including electric, and run 2 GTX480's, come back and say that.
While I don't live on my own, I do have to pay rent and electricity/water/gas bills already. So I'm still here and I'm still saying that :p

for you maybe. For me, nothing about my current lifestyle would have to change. I would still have enough money to pay the rent, stock the cupboard, go see a movie on weekends, etc.
So for me, it isn't a significant cost at all.
Then why not get two 5970's instead? they'll give you better performance.
sigh. You somehow turned my point about money differences into a health problem scenario.
I'm done here.
Just trying to make the analogy you created more realistic.

btw, I just rounded up a few benchmarks on the 480 and 5870 sli/crossfire setups.
On average the performance increase between a GTX 480 and a 480 SLI setup was 66%
On average the performance increase between a 5870 and a 5870 crossfire setup was 57%
Source?
not really. Take a look at the performance increases from the 180 to the 190 driver series.
That's pretty much the exception.
Also, the timing of it would suggest that it's highly likely Nvidia were trying to squeeze as much performance out of GF100 as they could before release, and it happening to translate into G92/G200 aswell.

Then why not get two 5970's instead?
I very well might do that. I'm gonna wait for a few more benchmarks to come out, specifically how well the 480's OC with wc and how well 5970 crossfire performance scales.

Several benchmarks. I went to 5 different sources benchmarking 480's, 480 sli's, 5870's and 5870 crossfires. Calculated the performance increase between the single and dual card setups, then averaged them out.

Seems to me that the pre launch talk was more or less on the spot. It's not significantly faster than than the 5870 and is slower than the X2. It's huge, expensive, hot and takes a lot of power. I'm curious as to why overclocking results were left absent form the anandtech article, i think this gives a lot of credence to the notion that Nvidia is having yield issues as well and getting them to operate on any clock is a challenge.

I want to see some SLI and Tri-SLI builds. No doubt they will be effective at raising people's energy bills. I think we have a new replacement for the Pentium 4 space heaters.

Several benchmarks. I went to 5 different sources benchmarking 480's, 480 sli's, 5870's and 5870 crossfires. Calculated the performance increase between the single and dual card setups, then averaged them out.

He wants you to list them, as do I. It is well accepted that Crossfire scales better than SLI most of the time, so if you are making those claims you had better have links to benchmarks from sites that aren't shady. And knowing how many people are willing to play ball with Nvidia, that will be hard to do.

And Were they using Catalyst 10.2 or 10.3?
I'm pretty sure Crossfire scaling is improved in 10.3

Seems to me that the pre launch talk was more or less on the spot. It's not significantly faster than than the 5870 and is slower than the X2. It's huge, expensive, hot and takes a lot of power. I'm curious as to why overclocking results were left absent form the anandtech article, i think this gives a lot of credence to the notion that Nvidia is having yield issues as well and getting them to operate on any clock is a challenge.
I just hope Nvidia will decide to change their stragegy in the next generation and focus more on power consumption and cost.

ATI haven't got the fastest GPU this generation (but they do have the fastest card)
But despite that, they've pretty much won this generation in all but about the 0.1% top end of the market.

Most of the talk is about the 480. Is the 470 meant to compete with the 5770? Hows the comparison of 470 to 5770 look?

And Were they using Catalyst 10.2 or 10.3?
I'm pretty sure Crossfire scaling is improved in 10.3

I just hope Nvidia will decide to change their stragegy in the next generation and focus more on power consumption and cost.

ATI haven't got the fastest GPU this generation (but they do have the fastest card)
But despite that, they've pretty much won this generation in all but about the 0.1% top end of the market.

Indeed, nvidia would have had a better chance but they took way too long. ATI is likely well underway in development for the 5xxx successor and by the time it comes out the GTX480 will still be relatively young. As with most new gpu technologies it will take a generation or too for it to catch on in the games and really be supported, this goes for tessellation as well. I don't see it making any large impact on things now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom