Nooby Wi-fi question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howie87

Beta member
Ok, my neighboor has very kindly offered me to use her internet :), all I need to do is make my computer wireless and connect to her router/modem. I have Lan RG-45 connections on my motherboard, so my question is:

Do I just have to buy a wireless (wi-fi) hub and connect to my rg-45 plugs, and then everything should be ok in the hardware area?

If you do not already have one (which i assume not) you will need to go out and purchase a wireless card for your desktop.

Then you will have to configure your wireless adapter to connect to your neighbors signal.

To add to Lex's suggestion, your wireless card will either be in PCI (which I'd recommend more) or USB format. USB is nice, convenient, etc... but if I can have hardware stuffed INSIDE the case instead of hanging out, like a USB wireless adapter would, I'm more apt to do that.

Ok, my neighboor has very kindly offered me to use her internet :), all I need to do is make my computer wireless and connect to her router/modem. I have Lan RG-45 connections on my motherboard, so my question is:

Do I just have to buy a wireless (wi-fi) hub and connect to my rg-45 plugs, and then everything should be ok in the hardware area?

If they already have a wireless router, then all you need is a USB wireless card. They are only $10-$15 Keep it simple ;)

-EDP

Your neighbor's ISP might not be so thrilled about her sharing her Internet connection. She needs to call them to verify doing so isn't a violation of the terms of service.

Your neighbor's ISP might not be so thrilled about her sharing her Internet connection. She needs to call them to verify doing so isn't a violation of the terms of service.
I guarantee it is a violation of their agreement. With that same logic you could provide your neighborhood w/ cheap service.

I guarantee it is a violation of their agreement. With that same logic you could provide your neighborhood w/ cheap service.

yeah internet providers are very touchy when it comes to people ofering cheap internet because it obviously take money that they could of had greedy *******s i need money.going a bit off topic here,but what would happen if you conected to a unsecured wirelees internet conection would you get charged with any crimanial offences or what,i hate been in an airport with no internet.

EH I wouldnt worry about having your neighbor calling her ISP to ask if its ok. IF you can pick it up and arent planning to use it for pirating software, music or movies I wouldnt worry about it. Get a wireless pci card. Plug it in, install the drivers it comes with and hope your in range of the router(neighbors wireless). Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom