New to networking, got a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

melcher88

Baseband Member
Hi all,

I got a few questions on setting up a small LAN in my house. We use DSL from Bellsouth, and have two computers we wish to connect. Should we run cables, or go wireless (less than 50 ft. of cable needed to run if necessary). Also, what do you all recommend for equipment (router, cables, etc.) ?

Thanks, Tim

if you dont mind having one computer on for every time you want to access the net on the other computer, go for ICS on one comp on the DSL line, otherwise go for a hard wired router or wireless. Also, you are more likely to get fairer allocation of bandwidth if you go for a router/switch

With wireless, the security and speed are not quite as good as with wires. If it's possible, use wires, but wireless is still decent.

I have a partially wireless network, and it works great. I reccomend you get a router, and if you go wireless then a router will make it so much easier to set up and configure. I tried wireless just connecting two computers, and i could not get it to work. As soon as I got a wireless router, I got it working in under an hour.

As for makes, I reccomend Netgear. That's what I use, and their products are excellent. Linksys are also very good, although I have no experience with them.

I'd say go with a wireless router. I work retail (Staples) and from now till Christmas you'll find wireless routers on sale for the regular price of a wired router.

Linksys wired - about $49-59
Linksys G wireless - same on sale

I'd say wireless b/c u can still hardwire ur connections. Why not go ahead and get wireless incase you want/get a wireless device (laptop/printer/etc). If using wireless, just always setup WEP or WPA security.

I would say go for a mix, hardwire when at all possible but use you mac addresses for security when using your wireless. Get a wireless router (802.11g) linksys or netgear. If you need to roam around thats the way to go.

As for the Staple advertisement above :rolleyes:

Either way its all good information and the network you setup for your own use is definately to your own liking. I would, as i said, go with a wireless router with atleast 2-4 ports for wired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom