new soundcard makes latency worse. PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

billru44

Baseband Member
hey.....

i've been dealing with this problem for weeks now. can anyone help? basically, i'm recording my guitar with cakewalk music creator. i pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 512 MB ram .

i've been using my standard factory installed soundcard (SoundMax) up till yesterday and been recording fine... however, when i hear myself record, there was a SLIGHT delay from when i hit a note and hear it from my speakers.

So, i went out and bought a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2zs. Now, there is a HUGE delay from when i hit a note to when i hear it. Can anybody help me?

I thought a better soundcard would be beneficial.

Thanks

Depending on the program, go into the audio preferences (audio options i think??... can't remember), and look for the buffer settings. Set it as low as possible (probably around 200-300ms). That will reduce the latency by alot.

Sorry you had this trouble after i told you to get this card... it should just be a software set-up issue now. Let me know how that works out!

Hope I helped!

Crysalis

Yah, i'm using cakewalk music creator. There's a setting in there for 'input monitoring' which plays what you record... so, i've set that and put the latency slider as low as it goes... says i am like i think 60ms. i noticed that i play notes and it's always 1 behind when i hear it out my speaker...... i'm pretty sure the latency was less w/ my factory installed soundcard that came w/ the pc.

Anything you could think of that would be causing this latency?

Is it possible to get latency so low that you can't tell the difference?

Thanks again for all your help. i tried to tweak the card settings but could not get anything to get better latency.

Any other suggestions? Maybe i'll just return this card.

You can return the card if you want, but your not going to get ZERO latency EVER with ANY card with current technology. Like i said in the other thread, Set the track to Rec, but also Mute it so that you dont hear the trail. Works fine for me.

Until/unless you go big money for an all out PC studio, your going to have latency. No matter what. No driver, setting or card will get you free of latency unless you have an all out recording setup which is not cheap at all.

Sorry if you are unhappy with the card. I still suggest you keep it for performance purposes and sound quality. Much better than onboard (man i hate that word)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom