New Samsung phone with console quality graphics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
Today Samsung introduced the Galaxy R, the world's first smartphone to utilize NVIDIA's Tegra 2 mobile processor and come equipped with a dedicated GeForce GPU, which they promise will deliver console-quality gaming.

Samsung Galaxy R to Deliver 'Console-Quality' Gaming
World's first Tegra 2-powered smartphone announced.

The Galaxy R is designed to provide added performance for fast and efficient web browsing, Adobe Flash media playback, HD movie support, and Tegra 2 optimized games.

In terms of specs, the Galaxy R sports a 4.19-inch WVGA Super Clean LCD touchscreen display, 720p HD video recording and 1080p HD video playback, and 8GBs of internal storage expandable to 32GBs via MicroSD. The Galaxy R will run on Google's Android 2.3 (aka Gingerbread) mobile OS, and come pre-installed with Tegra Zone, a specialized app store for accessing Tegra 2-optimized games and apps.

The Galaxy R is available now in Sweden, but will be released in other regions soon. No pricing or specific release date information has been provided.

source: http://gear.ign.com/articles/118/1187086p1.html

I was planning on getting an iphone 5 when it comes out, I wonder if this would be better.

This is interesting, but I wonder how ambiguous they are being here. Console-quality gaming, compared to what? It seems a bit far-fetched to say it can play as good as current gen.

Far-fetched? Nah. Saying something is console quality is pretty broad if you think about it. Could be anything from Atari all the way up to 360. Since it IS a dual core and comes equipped with its own Geforce, I'd say Wii quality at the least. Considering it doesn't have that much res to process.

On that note, thread necro.

Infinity Blade

Infinity Blade has been out for the iPhone for a while and while it's graphics aren't as good as consoles they're the best I've seen for a mobile phone, although I don't game all that often on my phone.

Funny that they are marketing the Galaxy R as high performance when it's Samsung's budget model, the Exynos powered Galaxy S2 is considerably faster than anything Tegra 2 based.

Looking at the benchmarks the only thing Exynos is better at is Java bench.

I don't know what benchmarks you are using but I'm not aware of any meaningful Exynos isn't better at.

41058.png

41042.png

41060.png

Tegra 2 is at an even bigger disadvantage on the cpu side since it is clocked lower and doesn't even have NEON support.

Considering that the Exynos is clocked 200mhz higher in all these, I hardly call that fair. I Googled and used the first couple of links to benchmarks with both at 1ghz and the Tegra 2 is better in 95% of the benchmarks toe to toe. That's like saying a 955BE is better than my i5 when I'm stock and the 955 is at 4ghz lol.

Considering that the Exynos is clocked 200mhz higher in all these, I hardly call that fair. I Googled and used the first couple of links to benchmarks with both at 1ghz and the Tegra 2 is better in 95% of the benchmarks toe to toe. That's like saying a 955BE is better than my i5 when I'm stock and the 955 is at 4ghz lol.

95% of sites don't matter, Anandtech clearly shows Exynos winning and they are known to be both objective and through.

All Exynos phones are clocked at 1.2ghz so that comparison is perfectly fair, why would a GS2 owner deliberately cripple their phones performance to give Tegra 2 a chance. Even if that was the case Tegra 2 still doesn't have NEON and it's media playback abilities are worse than Hummingbird, Exynos is on a whole different level in that regard.

The fact that emerging markets are the ones to get Tegra 2 Galaxy S2's while all of the top markets (USA,Canada,Western Europe, South Korea) get Exynos kind of says it all.

My Acer Iconia Tab A500 has a Tegra 2 that is overclocked to 1.5GHz, running Honeycomb 3.2. I might of scored a little faster but I know it checked my email during the Pro - Offscreen test.

glbenchmark.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom