New Rig - XP sees SATA. Hardy doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the only thing different i have done is i let nlite copy my XP CD to my drive instead of doing it myself.

Other than that it looks right. If this is XP and not XP X64 i would only take the 32 Bit drivers like you have already done.

What errors were you getting with the other CD?

Considering the CD is bootable, I doubt I'm losing any boot characteristics with me copying it over manually versus nLite doing it on their own.

This is ********. I can't believe how much time I've spent on this, and the best my system can do is turn on.

Thanks for the help, as always, Mak.

Well the bootable files are part of the hidden files in Windows Explorer. That is the only reason why i let nlite do it. The setup.inf might be it though.

My pleasure to help. I know the pains of trying to get new things working. I am still trying to get PC-BSD working. ;)

I'm just speechless.

ASUS has the drivers listed. They have them... there. On their web site. I can download them, and use them. They're... there.

I have a floppy drive to install them, which failed.
I used nLite to install them, which failed.

I'm wondering if my floppy drive is dead... lol... whenever I put a floppy in my system, it says insert disk. I was using my brothers computer to put the drivers on the floppy, so maybe that's why Windows kicked back to me saying it needed me to insert a disk to install the drivers.

Even still, it doesn't explain nlite, but oh well...

It does the EXACT same thing the regular CD did without the drivers slipstreamed. It simply cannot find the hard drive. It just.. can't. I'm glad I refreshed this page, I was in the process of making another nLite CD that I knew would inevitably fail... but I'll give it a shot with these mass storage drivers you suggested. Thanks, Mak.

edit - now I'm getting excited. That link you linked me to was a 7zip file and I was trying to unzip it accordingly. I just resorted to going to the ASUS web site, convinced I could find the mass storage driver. I came across an Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver and downloaded that. When I slipstreamed the driver into nLite, a bunch of them came up, with AHCI listed in the title of a lot of them.

Burning the ISO now. I hope this effin works...

Not a problem. Try them. I think those might work for you.

Mak, let me know if you ever get in the Lancaster area of Pennsylvania. I owe ya a 6 pack now.

My system is running. I got it to work via nLite. XP Pro SP3 (via new CD) and Ubuntu Hardy are both on my system on the same hard drive running in AHCI mode.

The problem was simple. I needed the storage manager driver from the ASUS web site. However, it was stored under Utilities... I was thinking the driver under SATA would be the one I needed, considering that I needed a SATA driver and all for AHCI to work.

XP is running now. The installation method I posted earlier with all of those pictures is the exact way I was supposed to do it.

Mak - Thanks a lot, as always. And I'm serious about the 6 pack. ;)

Now, my only problem is my onboard NIC isn't supported out of the box in Ubuntu. In fact, I don't even know if it's supported at all. According to PC Wizard 2008, I have an Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller. However, it's also listed on the main page as "Attansic - now owned by Atheros". I used a 3Com wireless USB adapter to pull all of my Ubuntu updates down, but unfortunately nothing came through of use to my wired adapter.

Edit - also, do I NEED a restricted driver? Ubuntu didn't prompt me to download a restricted driver for my 9600GT.

Glad you got it working. Always nice to hear that a problem has been sorted. :)

I would install EnvyNG

Code:
sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk

This will allow for install of the latest nvidia driver. While it isnt totally necessary, if you wish to use Compiz, Emerald or any of that stuff it will be necessary.

As for the NIC. I have no idea. I will have to do a search when i get time today. See if i can find a answer.

I just threw in a 10/100 PCI NIC I had laying around. I'd REALLY like to figure out the onboard LAN, though. It seems as if ASUS has a list of motherboards supported by linux, and mine is not one of them. There are two problems with Linux on my board.

1 - Required to run in AHCI mode (isn't that just hilarious?) Glad I know that now, though. And glad XP runs in AHCI!!
2 - Onboard LAN not supported.

However, I've heard of people getting this NIC to work... because there's an Eee PC which runs the same chipset NIC. *shrug*

I'm sure in time I'll get it to work, but for now, I have a trusty old PCI NIC card that works dandy.

Mak - What is EnvyNG, exactly? I've heard of Envy, but never EnvyNG. Is it a more advanced way to run graphics drivers? It sure seems a lot prettier than the "restricted drivers manager" screen. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom