New PC Build

Your already telling me crap I already know of.
Please read and make yourself aware so as to not show your ignorance and repeat what's already commonly known.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/04/meltdown-spectre-worst-cpu-bugs-ever-found-affect-computers-intel-processors-security-flaw
I refuse to get into a pissing contest with you about this. You can live your life with ignorant bliss, I do not care
Your very gullible if you think you should put any trust into the ISP's like AT&T and Comcast. They need to be regulated for our future

Last edited:
And you're rambling on paranoia and linking to sites that are just regurgitating info like the ignorant asshats on social media. If I was telling you "crap you already knew" you wouldn't make ignorant statements like

Being the owner of a couple skylake cpu's, I'm not happy about that.

It's a gigantic huge fricken mess and they do not have a good fix as of yet

Then backing that up with:

My next builds are going to be Ryzen's

When all AMD chips are susceptible to the same variant 2/3 ****, yet I'm the one showing ignorance? I had a meeting about these flaws with key people of the F-35 project right before Christmas. I was paid overtime to sit at work on Christmas Eve in a room full of people discussing exactly what I just told you above. I had the white papers printed and in hand before the general public knew about it. I'll repeat it again, if they're not worried about their Java and multi-virtual clustered multi-trillion dollar defense project, neither should we. Don't care to listen to me fine, but moving to AMD won't change anything and neither will being paranoid about flaws that don't pertain to you in any way. You don't want to get into a pissing match because you were showing your ignorance on the subject right from the start.

Here, let me pick apart even the dumb articles you are linking.

It could allow hackers to bypass the hardware barrier between applications run by users and the computer's core memory. Meltdown, therefore, requires a change to the way the operating system handles memory to fix, which initial speed estimates predict could affect the speed of the machine in certain tasks by as much as 30%.
There isn't a "hardware barrier", it's literally reading the shared memory pool from the speculative part from the kernel. Meltdown is literally patched from a kernel standpoint. Don't allow what is essentially "root" access to programs working within memory running a speculative task allowing any program to read memory that another program is working in. It isn't anywhere near 30% for 90% of users out there because it's purely I/O based. AKA, VMs and heavy disk to RAM tasks. At most a user will experience a 5% decrease in read/write operations from disk to RAM utilizing fast NVMe SSDs. Again, another small percentage of people, myself included.

Moving to AMD right?

The Spectre flaw affects most modern processors made by a variety of manufacturers, including Intel, AMD and those designed by ARM, and potentially allows hackers to trick otherwise error-free applications into giving up secret information. Spectre is harder for hackers to take advantage of but is also harder to fix and would be a bigger problem in the long term, according to Gruss.
Because it requires physical access. You gonna let randos access your machine and dump garbage onto your machine? Guessing no, so problem solved.

Oh hey, look at that.

“Intel has begun providing software and firmware updates to mitigate these exploits,” Intel said in a statement, denying that fixes would slow down computers based on the company's chips. “Any performance impacts are workload-dependent, and, for the average computer user, should not be significant and will be mitigated over time.”
Being patched already, and Meltdown is already taken care of.

Dan Guido, chief executive of cybersecurity consulting firm Trail of Bits, said that he expects hackers will quickly develop code they can use to launch attacks exploiting the vulnerabilities. He said: “Exploits for these bugs will be added to hackers' standard toolkits.”
Wrong. Such "tools" aren't widely distributed among groups anymore, and hackers don't generally keep or utilize things that require physical access. And, if such an exploit was that easy "simply whip up a code" for it, they would have done it well before a 2 decade era has passed.

“All Mac systems and iOS devices are affected, but there are no known exploits impacting customers at this time,” said Apple in a blog post, in reference to the fact that although the security flaws make it possible to steal data using malicious software, there was no evidence to suggest that this had happened.
Of course, because they don't exist yet. And if Apple is saying blatantly that no devices are affected since they are all running Intel processors it would automatically mean that Windows and Linux devices are also not affected.

“The current Intel problem, if true, would likely not require CPU replacement in our opinion. However the situation is fluid,”
Ah, there it is. Straight from the article you linked.

Even your own article you are linking is telling you it's patched and fine, yet I'm the ignorant one here? I also find this pretty funny coming from the guy who argued with me tooth and nail over Windows updates, yet here we are. If you've had auto update on since Jan 4th you have patched systems and if you went AMD you'd receive the same patches. Unless of course you're redacting what you were saying before, in that having updates on to "patch critical security holes" is now pointless. :rolleyes: Give it a rest already, nobody cares to take the time to get into your machine or mine because exploits like this take massive effort. If you were really that worried about it you wouldn't even be on here right now cause you would have tossed your machines in a fire, your modem, router, phone, and any other device utilizing an Intel, AMD, or ARM chip.

So I already bought the parts. I'm not going to worry about these problems with the processors. I'll keep everything up to date, no financial information stored, clean out my computer every week, etc.

I went with the 500 GB Samsung 960 EVO instead.

My brother in law wants to trade his Gigabyte GeForce 780x in exchange for my current all in one (was only hoping to get 200 off this thing). Will a 500 watt power supply be too low for this set up? I don't intend to play the newest games at all, just WoW and some older ones from the early-mid 2000's. Certainly nothing intensive.

Do you even read the articles you link?

Fortinet, which also analyzed many of the samples, confirmed that a majority of them were based on available PoC code.
Based on available code aka the stuff that's already patched. In other words, the stuff that was already created by the teams that discovered the vulnerability. Nothing new.

The expert believes the current malware samples are still in the “research phase” and attackers are most likely looking for ways to extract information from computers, particularly from web browsers. He would not be surprised if we started seeing targeted and even widespread attacks in the future.
In other words, exactly what I said. They haven't made their own code yet to actually exploit, it's just people dicking with stuff that the idiots over at Google exposed. In which case another of your very articles linked proves me right, they don't fully understand it. I mean, you can give me a knitting needle and some yarn; I'll poke and prod all day but doesn't mean I'll master it any time soon.

They mention the Java exploit that was already patched as well on all major browsers. It's a bunch of irrelevant information that's been regurgitated. Basically the only news we can get here is that AV-TEST has obtained samples from the people that were working on contingency plans which grants another source of code leak. The more people experiment the more knowledge will get leaked to people with malicious intent. It's the dumbest **** ever. Actually, I'll quote this too.

Processor and operating system vendors have been working on microcode and software mitigations for the Meltdown and Spectre attacks, but the patches have often caused problems, leading to companies halting updates and disabling mitigations until instability issues are resolved.
This just proves that the people who discovered and initially knew about this exploit don't even fully understand it enough to properly patch it. Thus, the people (aka hackers aka bad guys) without inside sources will be even slower on the take. This isn't like a cracking group attacking a well known DRM system in a game *cough* Denuvo *cough*, this is brand new stuff that's been dormant for 2 decades because people didn't know about it. THe hackers that may or may not have known about said exploits obviously didn't know enough to take advantage of it then, it'll take then a long while yet to exploit it now.

Back
Top Bottom