New install of Win7 can't update

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I've got a stumper here.

My Win7 installation shat itself majorly Tuesday. I am talking could not connect to the network (couldn't find adapters or proxy settings), most services stopped and either would not start or would start and then be reported as not running. So I finally gave up on it and formatted/reinstalled Wednesday.

The new install seems solid but it cannot update, stays stuck on checking for updates even when left running for 8+ hours. I have tried everything I could find online with what time I have had but with a 60 hour week it hasn't been much. I tried stopping the background intelligence transfer service and the windows update service combined with deleting the contents of the software distribution folder, and nothing. I have manually downloaded individual updates with PortableUpdater but they won't install and do the same as windows update itself.

Basically I am at the end of ideas and could use a few. I haven't installed a lot of stuff incase I have to wipe and start over but would rather not if I don't have to do so.

Are you on SP1? If so, did you check out the KB that's supposed to fix the issue with Windows Update slow downloads?

Or just switch to Windows 10 :p.

It had SP1 as part of the install. I have wiped it and will give 10 a try. It keeps installing 32 bit on me for some reason so I may have to redownload my source disk. It doesn't ask which one like Win7 does.

It had SP1 as part of the install. I have wiped it and will give 10 a try. It keeps installing 32 bit on me for some reason so I may have to redownload my source disk. It doesn't ask which one like Win7 does.

Make sure you have the 64bit Media Creation Tool - it may be that it's only grabbing the version that's the same as the MCT.

Got it sorted now. I am now up and running on Win10 Pro 64-bit. Gonna take a bit to get used to it, that's for sure.

Got it sorted now. I am now up and running on Win10 Pro 64-bit. Gonna take a bit to get used to it, that's for sure.

I went back to win7. To much animation.. I know you can disable most of it, but just annoying, the search in start menu is buggy sometimes to.

I went back to win7. To much animation.. I know you can disable most of it, but just annoying, the search in start menu is buggy sometimes to.

Only ever had issues with the start menu search in Win10 when I tried messing with settings, particularly indexing settings.

Back
Top Bottom