New CompTIA A+ coming out in August 09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup they do expire. Sorry to say. I'm not sure if the same holds true for the Net+, but A+ definately does expire, in fact they print the expiration date on your certificate when they mail it to you. I think the old old ones (like back in 2000) didn't expire, but they realized that hardware changes so often that they need to update the exam at least every three years. After making that realization I believe they made the decision to make certifications expire after so many years.

I mean think about it as a company. Would you want someone toating around saying they were certified by your company when in fact they were certified in 98 based off technology back then? Hardware changes entirely too often for someone to take an exam and be able to say 'i'm certified for life.' I know my MCP exam is the same way. I'm certified in an OS technology and once Microsoft stops supporting that OS the certification is no longer valid.

Yup they do expire. Sorry to say. I'm not sure if the same holds true for the Net+, but A+ definately does expire, in fact they print the expiration date on your certificate when they mail it to you. I think the old old ones (like back in 2000) didn't expire, but they realized that hardware changes so often that they need to update the exam at least every three years. After making that realization I believe they made the decision to make certifications expire after so many years.

I mean think about it as a company. Would you want someone toating around saying they were certified by your company when in fact they were certified in 98 based off technology back then? Hardware changes entirely too often for someone to take an exam and be able to say 'i'm certified for life.' I know my MCP exam is the same way. I'm certified in an OS technology and once Microsoft stops supporting that OS the certification is no longer valid.

now that you mention it I do see A+ expiring...but not the others. at least i hope they don't. I wouldn't want to take 7 exams to get MCSE certified just for it to expire in 2 years :\

MCSE won't expire until those technologies aren't used anymore. But they are already leaning towards not supporting the MCSE. Just look at the exams you have to take for it, server 2000 and 2003, older technologies (still used widely by companies but will become less used within the next year). The new one is the MCITP which involves four certifications out of server 2008 and one of an OS technology (either xp or vista). While they still support the MCSE they definately are wanting people to move into the new certification route of MCITP.

Long story short almost every certification you take will be outdated and unsupported at some point. As computer and IT professionals we cannot expect a company to support exams that are 5+ years old in an age in which the hardware and software we use change on a monthly, sometimes weekly basis.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab2

^^ yea, i've looked at a lot of those certifications.. a lot have retired test.

I know technology advances and so does the education you need (obviously)...I just always understood it is : you can get a new/more up to date cert but the old ones don't expire.

ohhh well thanks for all the information lex..it's much appreciated

i just took the 601 test and passed should I even consider taking the 602? I planed to take the 602 test at the end of the month But i planned on geting the cert to get a first job in the IT industry (just out of high school).

Is the 602 also part of the modification?

I would recommend taking that fast too... I'm trying to rush A+ Essentials and Comptia Certified Technician

Technically in order to be A+ certified on the 600 level exams you have to take the 601 Essentials and one of three others. If you just take one exam you aren't certified until you take the 602, 603 or 604 along with the 601.

With the new certification it is just two exams, an essentials and one other exam (no more choices). Still two exams. Not sure what you are talking about modification Verg, this two exam setup has been in place since 2006 when they brought out this exam. The new 'modification' on the 700 level exams is you only take to set exams.

Oh ok, thanks Lex.. + Rep since your so helpful :)

Surprised you haven't hit 3 bars yet though

Me too... oh well though. I appreciate the rep points though!

GL if you are taking the exam(s) down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom