Network storage

metallisomething

Beta member
I'm looking to get a new computer with an SSD that would presumably be smaller in capacity than my current HDD.

I was interested in getting some type of storage that would connect to my network. Nothing fancy, my purposes would be: to store the bulky files that aren't applications (Music, movies etc) and to have access to files on 1 or more computers and my home theatre media player (WDTV Live).

From what I have read I have several options;

1. Simple NAS, like the newest WD cloud drives (are these any good?).

2. two-drive bay with RAID 1 mirroring for added security as this would be my primary destination for files

3. A new router with USB storage port and just use any external drive.

ALSO, I want something that cycles on and off when being accessed/not accessed. This is for the purpose of keeping the run time of the drive down as well as for noise.

Does any particular setup seem best for my requirements?
thanks

go for #2

I have the ZyXEL NSA325 and it does everything you asked, network storage, Twonky Media Server, RAID 1 and power schedule. user interface is not as fancy as the other units I have. but is usually cheaper.

Also have the Qnap and a Synology, also does everything, but with fancier (better?) interface, more apps, and easy setup for remote access. usually more expensive.

Last edited:
Thanks Fat.Clown

I think the units you mentioned would be overkill. I'm new to NAS, but I don't need any interface, I just need the drive to show up as a shared folder on PC and the media player (as it is now I just have a shared folder on my hard drive that the WDTV live accesses via ethernet)

What about something like this?
DNS-320L ShareCenterâ„¢ 2-Bay Cloud Network Storage Enclosure | D-Link UK

And to clarify, does "power schedule" mean you set times when it boots up/shuts down, or can it be automatic when the drive isn't accessed for a period of time it shuts down?

The DNS-320L looks fine. I don't know about overkill, because personally I'd classify both units (and the WD My Cloud Mirror) in the same class. The WD My Cloud Mirror actually doesn't look bad at all, very clean user interface.

when I said power schedule, i meant like having it start up everyday at 7 AM and shuts down every night at 11:50 PM. None of the units I have has the option of shutting itself down after idling after a period of time. :(

Usually hard drives goes into hibernation after not being accessed for awhile. unless you configure it to never spin down.

when I said power schedule, i meant like having it start up everyday at 7 AM and shuts down every night at 11:50 PM. None of the units I have has the option of shutting itself down after idling after a period of time. :(

Usually hard drives goes into hibernation after not being accessed for awhile. unless you configure it to never spin down.

Understood. I think that is what I meant. I've had single disk external drives for years and they always 'hibernate' which to me, made it seem like shutting off all together, but they must have just been 'spinning down' like you said.

I have a 4TB WD MyCloud Ex2 and am pretty happy with it. I think more expensive NAS devices may have a faster processor or more memory but this does the job for me. I have it almost 50% full of movies and any computer (or other devices like phones or tablets) on my network can access the movies which is what I wanted it for.

It has a pretty clean interface for administrating it such as creating folders/shares, granting access, installing apps, etc...

The unit is also accessible from the "cloud" which is kind of interesting. I have toyed with that feature by watching a movie on my phone while sitting in a restaurant eating brunch. I'm not sure how much I'll use that feature but it's there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom